Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Any good shops in/around London to buy SMS & GG?

Reply to topic
Any good shops in/around London to buy SMS & GG?
Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 am
I'll be spending a few days of my summer vacation in London. From afar, England looks like a paradise for buying Master System games. (Brazil has the exclusives, but they're either in bad condition or just plain expensive.)

Any recommendations where to shop for Master System and Game Gear? I'm guessing ebay.co.uk would be cheapest, but I don't mind paying a little more to avoid flooding my mate's home with parcels :)

London would be best, but I don't mind taking a train and seeing more of the country if there's a good shop(s) somewhere else. Thanks in advance!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:32 pm
London is not great in this respect. I can't recommend anywhere I've ever seen here; I think there are some places outside the centre but just the usual CEX shops centrally.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:28 am
Thank you, I see.
Which shops would you recommend for the whole of England?

I've found a few retro shops called Super Tomato (Cardiff), Retro World (Derby) and Retro Hut (Southampton), but I don't think they carry much 8-bit Sega. I'm not ruling out a 5 hour roundtrip if it's a well-stocked shop (SMSGG-wise), so hopefully that puts maybe say, half of England within reach.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:23 pm
Playnation Games in Croydon stock a fair few Master System and Game Gear cartridges (mostly loose, though they have some boxed too) - certainly a better selection than the local branches of CeX. They also share premises with The Heart of Gaming, an arcade with £10 entry and then all the machines are free to play.

Unfortunately, due to a dispute between the council and the owners of the building where they were previously they are currently closed but should be open in the next few weeks, keep an eye on their Facebook pages for updates. Hopefully they'll be open again by the time you make your trip.

Edit on 11th August 2019: I can confirm that Playnation are back open again, I bought a couple of Master System cartridges from them yesterday. :)
Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 pm
Thank you very much for telling me about Playnation Games. I was there on Tuesday!

It's true the SMS boxes were quite dusty (I'm allergic) and most were battered and without manual, but there were good picks to be had and the prices were very reasonable. The owner was very friendly too. Thanks to you I was able to buy Sagaia, Heroes of the Lance, Taz-mania -all with manual- among quite a few others. Thank you!

Also, shout-out to another shop shop, The Retro Hunter, located in Leigh-on-Sea. It's not big but it's jam-packed with goodness. Though at the moment they didn't have that many SMS, they're counting on getting more soon. They still had maybe 25 games, all neatly boxed and many with manuals.

Though the real show-stealer was the arcade they're running just next door, Neon Knights. It's not Sega-themed so I'm just mentioning it here instead of creating another thread, but they had Outrun! There are maybe 15 classic games including The Simpsons, Ninja Turtles, Smash TV, Point Blank, Pac-man, Space Invaders, Tetris.... Very friendly guys too. You just pay 7.50 pounds, all machines are on free play.
https://neonknights.co.uk/
Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:16 pm
I'm glad you had a good trip and thank you very much for the recommendations of The Retro Hunter and Neon Nights! I'll definitely have to check them out if I'm ever heading in that direction.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!