Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - A new version of Emulicious is available

Reply to topic
A new version of Emulicious is available
Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 pm
A major update of Emulicious is available!

This new version of Emulicious enables you to load your own source files into the debugger. This means that you no longer have to step through a disassembly of your code when developing a game. Instead, you can step through the code you wrote. It has been tested with the source code of all homebrews which provide source code (not only limitted to assemblers, i.e. it also works with SDCC).

Additionally the outline has been improved and now shows different icons for code and data. You can even decide if you want to hide code or data labels from the outline. The Reference Hierarchy also uses the new icons now.

This version also adds an option to setup the volume levels (Master System 1 or Master System 2) to use for Master System emulation.

A full list of changes can be found below:

• The debugger now allows to load sourcefiles so you can work with your own code now
  • The disassembler now groups consecutive runs of equal bytes with dsb directives
  • Added Volume levels to Sound menu
  • The Outline can hide code or data now
  • Outline and Reference Hierarchy use icons now to differentiate between code and data
  • Coverage data is now persisted
  • The memory editor now allows to save the current selection as a binary file
  • On Mac OS when Emulicious is closed via Cmd+Q it will now also save its settings
  • Fixed issues with symbols loaded from SDCC map files
  • Fixed wrong position of current address in overview ruler
  • Several minor bugfixes and improvements

Users of Emulicious can receive the update via the update system, others can check it out at
http://www.emulicious.net
Post Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:46 pm
I already had the chance to test the new features, and they're super useful!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:19 pm
There was an issue with the automatic updates: On startup Emulicious shows an error that it failed to update and suggests to manually update by downloading the current version from the website.

The issue is fixed now but in order for the automatic updates to work correctly again you will have to manually update Emulicious now.
You can do that via Help->Configure Updates...->Check for updates->Update Now by downloading the current version from the website.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Edit: The update needs to be downloaded from the website in order to fix automatic updates.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:12 pm
A minor update of Emulicious is available.

This update introduces the possibility to specify what message to log when a breakpoint is hit. These messages can consist of multiple expressions separated by commas.
An example is
"Entered WaitForVBlank at scanline ", scanline

(The quotation marks need to be there to indicate a string)
This will yield log messages such as the following:
Entered WaitForVBlank at scanline 100

Unfortunately, there was an issue with automatic updates. Due to this issue you might need to manually update to the new version by downloading Emulicious from its download page https://emulicious.net/downloads/.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 pm
I believe I've come across a bug in the disassembler/debugger.

It seems when dealing with word length data, at least sometimes it is making the data lower than it should be by $4000. From the examples I've found, it seems to be happening when it thinks the data is an address, and when that address would be over $8000. As a result, it also creates unnecessary labels for these addresses.

For an example, see Captain America and the Avengers (UE).gg address $5BD7.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 pm
Wafer wrote
I believe I've come across a bug in the disassembler/debugger.

It seems when dealing with word length data, at least sometimes it is making the data lower than it should be by $4000. From the examples I've found, it seems to be happening when it thinks the data is an address, and when that address would be over $8000. As a result, it also creates unnecessary labels for these addresses.

For an example, see Captain America and the Avengers (UE).gg address $5BD7.

It does not make the address lower than it should be. This is a concept called mapping. You can read about it here: http://www.smspower.org/Development/Mappers
In this case bank 1 is mapped on slot 2. So the addresses $8000-$bfff (slot 2) accessed by the Z80 are mapped to the addresses $4000-$7fff (bank 1) in the ROM.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm
I don't think I've explained myself very well. I'm aware of mapping and I've been using it myself.

I think the best way I can explain myself is to describe it as steps to recreate:

1. Disassemble Captain America in Emulicious
2. Make no changes to the assembly
3. Build it again in WLA DX
4. Compare the binaries in a hex editor - some bytes in the new binary will be too low

The problem isn't just limited to that game either, I first spotted it in Sailor Moon and I've come across it in a few others. Other games come out and the binaries are identical, which is the behaviour I would expect.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 pm
Wafer wrote
I don't think I've explained myself very well. I'm aware of mapping and I've been using it myself.

I think the best way I can explain myself is to describe it as steps to recreate:

1. Disassemble Captain America in Emulicious
2. Make no changes to the assembly
3. Build it again in WLA DX
4. Compare the binaries in a hex editor - some bytes in the new binary will be too low

The problem isn't just limited to that game either, I first spotted it in Sailor Moon and I've come across it in a few others. Other games come out and the binaries are identical, which is the behaviour I would expect.

Yes, this explanation is clear now. :)
You are right. That should definitely not happen and I will look into it! You already named Captain America and Sailor Moon and said you also encountered it in a few others. Any chance you can remember the full list and send it to me via pm or mail? It's also ok if the list contains a few false positives. :) It will help me track the issue down and fix it.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 pm
I'll certainly have a look, as I need to go back over the ~10 or so hacks I've done in the last couple of weeks to check if this issue has affected them.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:38 pm
Wafer wrote
I'll certainly have a look, as I need to go back over the ~10 or so hacks I've done in the last couple of weeks to check if this issue has affected them.

That's what I mean by false positives. You can just send me the full list and I will find the relevant ones. :) I don't want you to have extra effort because of this.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:22 pm
An update is available that fixes the issue in the disassembler that Wafer has experienced and described here.
Thanks to Wafer for pointing it out. :)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 pm
Calindro wrote
An update is available that fixes the issue in the disassembler that Wafer has experienced and described here.
Thanks to Wafer for pointing it out. :)

Nice! Thanks for the quick fix.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!