Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Japanese Master System Rapid Fire Question

Reply to topic
Japanese Master System Rapid Fire Question
Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:19 am
I have only recently noticed that the Japanese Master System has a rapid fire button in place of the reset button.

Does this mean that to reset this Master System you need to use the Power Button?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:27 pm
Yes, you will probably need to power-cycle the system to reset it.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:13 pm
The reset button on the Master System doesn't power cycle the system at all. It's just another button (and frankly quite useless, and they even removed that in the SMS II)
Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:37 pm
That's not what I was saying. I'm saying you have to turn off your system and turn it back on in order to reset it, due to the absence of a reset button. I can't make this more clear.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:25 am
awesome thanks guys I got the answer I needed!
Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:21 pm
sverx wrote
The reset button on the Master System doesn't power cycle the system at all. It's just another button (and frankly quite useless, and they even removed that in the SMS II)

Yes, the Reset button and the Pause button operate opposite of what would seem logical, compared to other consoles especially.
Pressing the Pause button causes an operation the software can't ignore, but the Reset button is functionally another button that it can only respond to if it feels like it.
(I know Genesis X-Men was a game famous for using the Reset button as a gameplay button, but I wonder how that console does it? Is it like the NES, which has code at startup to detect if RAM has been initialized as a means to detect between Power and Reset operation?)
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:36 pm
Just to note, Soft Reset and Hard Reset are two different things.

The Soft Reset just re-start the game, but some of the game's code will keep activated at the console's memory. As KingMike said before, there's one point of X-Men for Sega Genesis who needs the game be Soft Reseted to progess the game (if turn off and turn on the console, all the game's progress will be lost). There's other Genesis games who makes use of reseting the game to keep some code activated, like the Sonic games, who keep any enabled secret code once the secret commands are inserted (example: Once you put the Stage Select code in Sonic 1, you don't need to re-insert the command. Just press A+Start at the title screen to call the Stage Select screen). Rocket Knight Adventures make use of this thing as well, once there's a secret code who makes the player's gameplay of the current stage into the game's demoplay. That's why many crazy, random things can occur if you remove a cartridge with the system turned on and put another game and reset it, like a friend of mine did in the past switching Altered Beast with other games, like Golden Axe II, or like IN THIS VIDEO (important personal note: I do not recommend to doing it). Even Rare wanted to use this "resource" to exchange contents between their games at the N64, but this idea was abandoned...

Hard Reset is like turn off and turn on the system. With this, any information inside the system's memory will be cleared. Without count turning off and turning on the system with the same frequency of the Reset button to replace the lack of this button (counting you use this function a lot, like, to make tests in the game) will stress the system, specially the power switch (even more if you are using the Model 2 SMS).

In the case of the Master System, using the Reset button will prevent the player to wait the system's logo. But there's one more thing: Without the Reset button, the player can not be able to use THE UNLIMITED LIVES CODE IN THIS GAME.

So, a console having a (Soft) Reset button is not something so useless if anyone consider everything I wrote above. And even so, many emulators offer both soft and hard reset options.

But the point is the japanese SMS don't have a Soft Reset button is because any previous compatible models (Mark III and SG-1000) don't have such button as well. So, Sega had the freedom to decide to bring the Reset button, or remove it, or use the button for another function.

By the way, A MOD CAN RESTORE THE SOFT RESET BUTTON AT THE SMS MODEL 2. But I don't know if it can be applied in the japanese consoles...
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:03 pm
Memory persistence across soft-resets is also present on the NES and Famicom, which is the way this trick works.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!