SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - ADapter to use Everdrive GG on Master System

Reply to topic
ADapter to use Everdrive GG on Master System
Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:56 am
Last edited by asper on Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Hi guys, will it be possible to use an everdrive gg inside a real master system re-routing the correct pins (more than 20 i suppose) ? If so i will try to build an adapter (i already have the connectors to do it). The redirection pinout can be found here: https://consolingmyself.co.uk/post/18692678762/retrode-sms-gg-plug-in-adapter-pi...

I read that GG games cannot be played on a real SMS because of the color numbers (and probably other stuff) but what about everdrive GG SMS games ?

Here they are some pics if the site will go offiline:

Please Someone let me know that, Thank you :)
UTnWuVY.png (54.54 KB)
UTnWuVY.png
tfdZaQG.png (301.81 KB)
tfdZaQG.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:30 am
Yes, but the connector is hard to get (only from a dead GG).
Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 am
Maxim wrote
Yes, but the connector is hard to get (only from a dead GG).

FANTASTIC ! THANK YOU ! I already found the connector, now my real problem is to find a suitable Master System Cartridge "virgin" PCB where to solder the GG connector... do you have gerber files for it Maxim ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:07 am
It's a standard pin spacing (0.1" I think) so should be easy to make.
Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:19 pm
Maxim wrote
It's a standard pin spacing (0.1" I think) so should be easy to make.

I found this already-made project by the great Charles MacDonald:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/W53454ASI17_SMS_to_GG_cartridge_adap...

I will get one and test, I hope the pinout is the same as above :)

I really would like to have a valid alternative to avoid buying an (expensive!) SMS Everdrive.

EDIT: well... I just found this :P
http://www.smspower.org/forums/15587-GGToSMSAdapter

And this useful list (GG games running in SMS mode): http://www.smspower.org/Tags/SMS-GG
Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:45 am
asper wrote
I found this already-made project by the great Charles MacDonald

I cast a vote to erect a bronze statue of him in the Town Square. Along with Maxim and Bock, of course. ;)

I really would like to have a valid alternative to avoid buying an (expensive!) SMS Everdrive.

Me too, looking forward to how this progresses.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:50 am
segasonicfan wrote
asper wrote
I found this already-made project by the great Charles MacDonald

I cast a vote for us to erect a bronze statue of him in the Town Square. Along with Maxim and Bock, of course. ;)

Me too, looking forward to how this progresses.

The connector has arrived, waiting for the pcbs. If this will work I Will have 3 pcbs spare to give out if someome wants them (without the gg cart connector but probably with resistors and led included/presoldered).
Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Hardware build! It starts the gg everdrive OS menu but it hangs loading games (gg and sms) with a central black rectangle; the gg led (meaning "it won't work on sms") is always turned on :(

Any hint about how to bypass the gg check on the gg everdrive? Any pin shortcut?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm
I'd assume the GG Everdrive would use either the file extension or ROM header to determine the state of the /GG pin on its output. But your adaptor should ignore that anyway?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:36 am
Maxim wrote
I'd assume the GG Everdrive would use either the file extension or ROM header to determine the state of the /GG pin on its output. But your adaptor should ignore that anyway?

I don't know how gg everdrive works and i suppose the adapter just "read" the status Without any modification. Is There a way to "disable" the gg pin?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:22 am
There is a pin on the GG cartridge which tells the GG to run in GG or SMS mode. On a Master System there's no way to support GG mode so there's no need to collect that pin to anything.

The issue here is presumably nothing to do with that or the Everdrive "detecting" the system is not a GG, it's most likely just using some GG functionality (likely ports 0-6) which has some other unintended effect. It may well be the game doing that - can you try just loading an SMS ROM on the GG Everdrive to rule that out?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:27 am
Maxim wrote
There is a pin on the GG cartridge which tells the GG to run in GG or SMS mode. On a Master System there's no way to support GG mode so there's no need to collect that pin to anything.

The issue here is presumably nothing to do with that or the Everdrive "detecting" the system is not a GG, it's most likely just using some GG functionality (likely ports 0-6) which has some other unintended effect. It may well be the game doing that - can you try just loading an SMS ROM on the GG Everdrive to rule that out?

Well I tried to load some gg and sms roms: all of them give the same result (black rectangule while loading) but now the cartridge+adapter is rejected with a "software error" message and I am not able to load the everdrive OS anymore. Tried to reflash some other game with the game gear (the everdrive still works with it) but always "software error" and I do not know what to do (I also tried to reformat the SD card FAT32 without any changes).

Do you have any hint Maxim ?

EDIT:
I just tried to flash some BIOS and with some of them the cartridge is totally bypassed and the original console bios starts without the "software error" message (I am using a sega master system 2 with alex kidd preloaded).

Now I suppose the problem is something flashed in the everdrive but I am not able to find 1 game or other rom which brings me to the OS menu (I am flashing using my game gear).
Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 am
Ive just built one of the adapters too. I modified the board slightly and added mounting holes for the connector to screw into, just to add a bit of extra support.

If i use my GG ever drive on it the menu comes up but the colours are a off, presumably due to the game gear having extra colour bits for the extra colour depth and the SMS not. There are also 2 black bands that span the width of the screen, i assume these are to do with the difference in screen resolution between the consoles. This is confirmed by the fact the GG mode led is also lit.

If i select a rom to load i get the same black rectangle.. which is the usual menu that lets you load and start, load only or hex view the file. Its black due to the colour issues as above. If you click button 1 itll start to load the rom. It loads and runs a sms game properly from there and the GG mode LED goes out.

As for your "software error" message.. its probably due to dirty cart contacts. Clean the connector pins and itll probably come right.
20190613_204748.jpg (164.62 KB)
20190613_204748.jpg
20190613_204825.jpg (54.07 KB)
20190613_204825.jpg
20190613_205753.jpg (56.32 KB)
20190613_205753.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 am
wasup wrote
Ive just built one of the adapters too. I modified the board slightly and added mounting holes for the connector to screw into, just to add a bit of extra support.

If i use my GG ever drive on it the menu comes up but the colours are a off, presumably due to the game gear having extra colour bits for the extra colour depth and the SMS not. There are also 2 black bands that span the width of the screen, i assume these are to do with the difference in screen resolution between the consoles. This is confirmed by the fact the GG mode led is also lit.

If i select a rom to load i get the same black rectangle.. which is the usual menu that lets you load and start, load only or hex view the file. Its black due to the colour issues as above. If you click button 1 itll start to load the rom. It loads and runs a sms game properly from there and the GG mode LED goes out.

As for your "software error" message.. its probably due to dirty cart contacts. Clean the connector pins and itll probably come right.

Great ! I had your same "false" colors but I did not think about the selection menu ! Fantastic !

Unfortunately even cleaning with isopropilic alchool i still get "software error" while a friend's of mine everdrive is working... my everdrive is working fine in my game gear,,, I really don't know what to do ! I got that error after flashing something (maybe a game gear rom?) to the everdrive. Please let me know if you manage to think to another solution for me, thank you very much !
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!