Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sports pad

Reply to topic
Sports pad
Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 am
Ive got a dead sports pad that im trying to repair. I got it cheap off ebay in the hope it was just a broken cord but its looking like the micro on it is dead instead. Im wondering about programming a modern part to replace it with but don't quote understand how its meant to function.

There are a few old posts that refer to "the official documentation" for the sports pad. Is some one able to point me to this?
It was linked in one post to "Development/SMSOfficalDocs" but the content is no longer there.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:01 pm
I see it at http://www.smspower.org/Development/SMSOfficialDocs .
Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 pm
Excellent, thanks a heap!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 pm
Interesting..

Looking at the circuit, buttons 1 and 2 both feed into the micro. Neither work so i still guess that the micro is at fault. Maybe it relies on the strobe coming in at startup to enable it before anything actually happens tho?

Does sports pad soccer do any region detection to determine which type of sports pad to use? Thats presuming the US and JP sports pads are in fact different?

Im wondering if its getting a bit messed up with the way the region changing works when using the SMSFM board. That disables the IO chip during writes to port $3F to pass the region checks. Obviously we need port $3F to strobe the sports pad so thats going to cause issues straight away.

So possibly if its in JP region its detecting it as a JP system but the strobes aren't getting through due to the FM board blocking them? And in Export region its expecting something different?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!