SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Power Strike / Aleste

Reply to topic
Power Strike / Aleste
Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am
Hello.

I purchased few days ago a SMS lot in germany that includes the game "Power Strike". I know the original name of the game is Aleste. I noticed that the cover has to stickers (on the side and on the front" that says "Aleste". After the first glance I pulled it of because I thought it was not intend to be there.

But after a while it came to me that maybe it was intend to be there. And after a little search on the internet I found pictures of the game with the same sticker on it (the picture here is the one from the internet, my copy has stickers in a realy bad condition).

Did anybody knows something about these stickers and if there has to be on any sold copy of the game in germany?

CU TerA
Zwischenablage01.jpg (100.6 KB)
Power Strike Aleste found on the Internet
Zwischenablage01.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:56 pm
I did a search about it and found nothing, but to me it's pretty clear that this sticker communicates with gamers that knew the game as Aleste instead of Power Strike. Or maybe who distributed it was concerned that the customers knew the original title of the game, like when they put the original title of the films on DVD boxes, usually very small and between ()s. But this last reason I find very improbable.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 pm
Here is the source of the OP's attached image:
https://ebay.co.uk/itm/233159914838

It is the standard EU release, with registered trademark symbol on Sega logo and No Limits line on the back.

In my opinion, I have doubts that the "Aleste" text label is official.

I find another one that has a oval "Sega" label on it. This other one has no trademark logo and there is no back picture.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/u84AAOSwHptcRhbO/s-l1600.jpg

It is from: https://ebay.co.uk/itm/254138463095
s-l1600.jpg (277.7 KB)
Power Strike, no R, Sega label
s-l1600.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 pm
Some countries used to have a rental gaming store culture, just like rental video stores where people could rent video game cartridges instead of buying one. Did that happen in Germany?
Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 am
extra skater wrote
Some countries used to have a rental gaming store culture, just like rental video stores where people could rent video game cartridges instead of buying one. Did that happen in Germany?

It didn‘t, at least not to any extent that I‘m aware of.

However, I seem to remember that the game was reviewed under its original name Aleste in the major gaming magazines in Germany (all two of them), so it would have made sense for the distributor to put that sticker on the box. I can‘t say if it‘s official or not, though.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:33 pm
Kagesan wrote

However, I seem to remember that the game was reviewed under its original name Aleste in the major gaming magazines in Germany (all two of them), so it would have made sense for the distributor to put that sticker on the box. I can‘t say if it‘s official or not, though.

Good clue, it would be a good explanation on why they put an ALESTE sticker on the boxes.
My Game
Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:12 pm
Here are Pictures of my Game. Did not removed the storelabel on the back yet... this one is pain in the a** to remove ;)

I removed the one on the Side and put it on again for the picture. So maybe it is not 100% on the same place as before.

This one is my second copy of the game, and I remeber (not clearly... but I think I remember) that I have removed the same (or very close ones) stickers from my first copy too (and throw it in the trash). Because I thought it was not original there...

PS: The oval SEGA Logo was the offical "seal" sticker of the Master System Games. I put my SEGA Logo sticker (if it's still there) inside the box :)

CU TerA
PSFront.jpg (243.59 KB)
PowerStrikeFront
PSFront.jpg
PSSite.jpg (115.68 KB)
PowerStrikeSide
PSSite.jpg
PSBack.jpg (300.77 KB)
PowerStrikeBack
PSBack.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:51 pm
It is pretty much the same font. Could be official.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 pm
TerA wrote

This one is my second copy of the game, and I remeber (not clearly... but I think I remember) that I have removed the same (or very close ones) stickers from my first copy too (and throw it in the trash). Because I thought it was not original there...

So you had that first copy back in the day, I guess?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:49 am
extra skater wrote

So you had that first copy back in the day, I guess?

Back in the days I was one of the "poor kids". So, no consoles or games at home for me. I played games at friends houses :) I bought my first copy of this game few years ago as second hand too :)

I buyed this current SMS Lot because my old SMS died few months ago and then I lost the power adapter along with my controllers too. I am prety shure I stuffed the stuff away until I have time to tinker with the SMS and now I have no idea where i putted it. But I want to play my games again and the price for this one was good :)

CU TerA
Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 pm
I couldn't find the other one, but here's one of the reviews I remembered.

https://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=2417&s=1&st=1
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm
Wow, this guy looks awesome...
gut.jpg (7.52 KB)
gut.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 pm
Heinrich Lenhardt, he‘s a legend. Together with Boris Schneider-Johne he pretty much (co-)invented games journalism in Germany. He still occasionally writes highly entertaining pieces about (retro-)gaming related things. Disappointingly, he got rid of the awesome moustache, though.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!