Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Analogue Co. Mega SG

Reply to topic
Analogue Co. Mega SG
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:14 am
https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

So, how do we all feel about this?

This thing is emulating the Megadrive/Genesis in hardware via an FPGA. It works with the MegaCD hardware (but not 32X), and apparently every single released for the hardware.
It'll have cartridge adapters available so you can play all Sega's 8bit console games (including GameGear, which I'm pretty darn excited about), and - making it relevant to this community - it ships with an SMS cartridge adapter.

Personally, I think this is amazing. My ex threw out all my old Sega games and consoles a few years back, so this is a great place to start again with minimal fuss about playing the old machines on new TVs and whatnot.
Analogue Co. Mega SG
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:27 pm
A hardware implementation instead of a software emulation that plays carts with high compatibility and plugs straight into current TV - that's pretty damn good.

I thought the price tag of $190USD was reasonable as well all things considered.

I checked out a couple of reviews of the Super NT which is the SNES version that came out a year ago and that version performs very well.

Personally, it's not the real thing but this looks so much better than running an emulator on a Pi or something.

My ex threw out all my old Sega games and consoles a few years back, so this is a great place to start again with minimal fuss about playing the old machines on new TVs and whatnot.

That's cold. Very cold. Unfunkenbelievable even.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:16 pm
Awesome sounding system. But already having a genesis, and an SMS adapter for it, for that price might as well get myself a real sega cd.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 pm
I have tried but so far failed to get decent video output from SG-1000 games with their original (pre-SMS/MkIII) color palettes. The Yeno SC-3000 comes closest but its video quality still leaves much to be desired. Maybe this will finally do the trick?

Also their Super NT has unofficial firmware which turns it into a very capable cartridge dumper — quite a bit more compatible than the Retrode2, for instance. Should the Mega SG grow similar capabilities at some point it could become the best way (both most affordable and easiest) to back up & preserve cartridge collections for Sega's 8- and 16-bit systems.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:13 pm
What I would most like to see is if there was a way to make a flashcart for CD games, to bypass the CD reader entirely (as I imagine that is the thing most likely to break down as it ages?).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:01 pm
The biggest deal for me is that it produces digital video, so you get clear graphics on modern TVs. It may be a bit late now (as the attempted fad has passed) but it would be awesome to support 3D games via HDMI to TVs with 3D capability. (Maybe the picture size would ruin the effect though?)
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 pm
Pre-ordered on the day it was announced :O :P
Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:29 am
Maxim wrote
It may be a bit late now (as the attempted fad has passed) but it would be awesome to support 3D games via HDMI to TVs with 3D capability. (Maybe the picture size would ruin the effect though?)

This is a brilliant idea.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:48 pm
I love the Analogue.co line of products. Quality built hardware. 100% faith that they will deliver yet another solid product.

I own a silver NT Mini and a clear Super NT. I preordered the Mega SG on day one of their announcements.

It's nice to be able to hook up a console to your TV and not have to worry about cable quality/lag/jailbars/video quality. Yes I know about LCD panels having lag. But scalers will have lag too. If I want to get serious I'll bust out original hardware and use my PVM.

I barely touch my original hardware now that I have these units. Only reason I take them out are for light guns or someone wants to see the original consoles.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 am
unfnknblvbl wrote
So, how do we all feel about this?

I want one!
Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:02 am
If it's anything like versions of the nes and snes, it should be sublime. A friend owns the analogue nes console, and it's quite simple excellent. Beautiful, well-built and works perfectly.

So, yeah, i want one.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am
KingMike wrote
What I would most like to see is if there was a way to make a flashcart for CD games, to bypass the CD reader entirely (as I imagine that is the thing most likely to break down as it ages?).

There is for the Saturn (there's a board/mod you can buy that lets the console read ISOs on a SD card), so i think it may be possible to built something similar for the Sega CD? I never looked into it, but i've never heard of the cd drive failing on the sega cd, however it is a problem with the saturn.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 pm
tibone wrote
KingMike wrote

There is for the Saturn (there's a board/mod you can buy that lets the console read ISOs on a SD card), so i think it may be possible to built something similar for the Sega CD? I never looked into it, but i've never heard of the cd drive failing on the sega cd, however it is a problem with the saturn.

Yeah there's replacement lasers on the market, they use the same exact ones as the neo geo cd model 2.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!