Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Video Capturing 3d Games

Reply to topic
Video Capturing 3d Games
Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 am
Does anyone know the FPS the 3D games use so when they are captured to stream online it looks to be 2D for the viewers? I tried 30FPS, it works sometimes but its like the games are changing the flicker rate.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:47 am
It's software controlled so it's mostly switching sides on every frame but not always. It's hard to capture on real hardware.

In an emulator, you can use the 2D mode but that will remove the 3D for you too.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:17 pm
I guess it would be possible to mod an emulator to allow to capture things in 3D; other than that, I haven't heard of any emulator that does this out-of-the box.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:15 pm
Meka used to have a side by side renderer, which many newer devices and services can happily transform to a stereo pair. I guess it just blits to the side corresponding to the glasses state. I wonder if it's still there?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 pm
Sorry to be confusing, I am capturing a real sms console, I'm playing the game on a pvm and the output goes to a ossc then to a capture card in my pc
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:41 am
Do you have some sort of a mechanism for only capturing or rendering out the even frames?

Even then, I could imagine that causing weirdness if the SMS has a lag frame, and the 3D toggle doesn't flick over because of it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:21 am
As I said, on real hardware it's really hard. Any frame lag (slowdown) can cause a frame to show twice, the glasses will show that frame to the same eye and then continue to flip correctly. The only way to capture would be to capture all frames and then decimate it to a single eye manually, which is excessive work and doesn't help with streaming.
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm
Thanks, Maxim that makes more since.
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:52 pm
Seems like, in order to make this record on real hardware, it would be necessary to capture the output of the 3D glasses adapter, and write some plugin for the streaming software that would only update a frame on the stream if the adapter is showing a specific eye.
Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:44 pm
If there is a 0/1 signal that triggers the glasses, I guess you can take a page from MacGyver's book, and record it on the second audio channel (since you only need one audio channel for the Master System's mono output). At that point you can do some black magic and use that information to splice the video in the appropriate way.

It's probably easier to do it natively in an emulator, though. Many modern emulators already come with AVI dumping capabilities, I guess it would be easy enough to modify one of them to create two separate AVI files: on each frame, the "active" AVI would get the new image, and the "inactive" AVI would get a copy of the previous image (to keep them in sync without resorting to variable frame rates). At that point it would be trivial to merge the two separate videos into a 3D one.
Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:40 pm
I'd suggest using a 2D cheat code on the games that support it, or using a flash cart with a 2D hack of the game.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:17 pm
That doesn't allow you to stream it in 3D though...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!