Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - CJ Elephant NTSC sold in UK

Reply to topic
CJ Elephant NTSC sold in UK
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:25 pm
Even though there is a European release of CJ Elephant, I've seen a lot of people talk about whether the NTSC-U pink strip release was sold in the UK or not.

From a sales post on Facebook here's a picture of an NTSC-U style CJ Elephant with a £9.99 stick on the front. The sticker is from Dixons, a UK high street retail chain.

This is proof that the pink strip box was distributed in the UK to regular stores, not just as an import.

Image attached.
cj.jpg (26.88 KB)
CJ Elephant UK sales sticker
cj.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:08 pm
High Street stores had imports, I saw US boxes in Game around the Majesco rerelease and Parker Bros games in EB in the early 90s. It's impossible to know if these were via Sega Europe or not.

I wonder if they had any modifications for UK/EU regulations at the time, e.g. epilepsy warnings (which I think were more is a US thing) or CE markings?
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:25 pm
Game's deal with Majesco was announced and probably not repackaged for the European market owing to how small they are/were.I can't speak as to the deal at EB.

Whats important to remember here is that Dixons, unlike those other two, was not a game store but general consumer electronics. Given the nature of Codemasters releases with their non Sega carts I think it's very believeable that they would also ship their games with the same packaging for abroad, particularly if it wasn't a popular title and they couldn't sell through their stock. Just like this one.

So I don't think for a second this is a case of Dixons 'importing' stock but just selling through whatever was delivered by the publisher. Perhaps Codemasters brought back/delivered stock originally intended for the US market but it landed on the UK high street nonetheless. Wish I had bought one for £9.99 at the time!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!