Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Competitions 2018 Discussion Thread
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am
Last edited by Bock on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:40 am; edited 5 times in total
Ultra-short rules:

The same as every year.

Slightly longer rules:

Deadline is 27th March 2018. You may choose to interpret that in any reasonable way. We expect people to submit patches/fixes in the following days, but try to get your entry submitted by March 27.

There are three main competitions: coding, hacks and music.

Coding competition

Write something that runs on a Sega 8-bit home system which isn't a hack. A game, a demo, a tool!
(See our Homebrew section for an idea of past work done by the community.)

Hacks competition

Make a hack of a game for a Sega 8-bit home system.
(See our Hacks section for an idea of past work done by the community.)

Music competition

Make some music that either uses the sound chip(s) from an Sega 8-bit home system, or is an arrangement of music from commercial software for that system.
(See our Music section for an idea of past work done by the community.)

The small print

* If you have a project that don't clearly fit in the Coding/Hacks/Music criteria and you think would be a good fit in the competition, please message us and we may work something out together (e.g. enter the project in Coding competition if that seems reasonable).
* Super-offensive or overly illegal content will get your entry rejected. Be nice.
* Entries should be either made for this competition, or substantially different to any earlier release.
* Coding entries must be in a format that works with a wide variety of emulators, i.e. raw ROM image or disk images. Tape images and wacky custom formats are no good unless you are genuinely making something related to those formats.
* Hack entries must be either in a format like for coding entries, or in the form of an IPS patch. You must give details of the original file(s) your hack is based on.
* Music entries can be in any format you like, provided it's VGM or MP3. You are welcome to also provide the same music in some other format alongside it.

How to enter

E-mail: competition AT

Please do make sure to:
* Attach the file(s), don't link to If your package include executable, rename your archive (e.g. .ZIP to ZI.) so it won't be filtered by gmail.
* Mention the word "competition" in your subject line
* Mention your forum user name.
* Provide us with a clear, official title for your entry (as opposed to "here's my entry: rom.sms").
* Provide us with a description of the entry if you would like one to be included. We will copy whatever in your e-mail looks like a description to the corresponding Homebrew page.
* If it's a hack, specify which game/version/CRC.
* If it's a music, specify if it's an original track or a cover (specify which game, which track).
* Including cover art makes you 20% more awesome :)
* Including sources (for both music and code) makes you 256% more awesome. :)

You should receive an automatic response when it is received.

Cover art competition
During the voting period, we'll also run a "fun" competition to produce some Master System cover art. This should be in the style of normal Master System export games - whether the classic "grid plus clipart" style or something a bit more '90s. It can be for any game - so it could be for a Master System game you wish had better cover art, or for a homebrew Master System game you like, or just something funny where you make Master System art for a modern game. We'll have a little extra vote after the main voting ends to pick a favourite.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 pm
SMS-Power compo time is my favorite time of the year! ... I plan to enter the coding compo with something I have been working on on/off for quite some time now, and I look forward to show it to you all :)

Let the countdown begin...
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:00 am
I‘m looking forward to the new competition very much. I‘m really curious to see what everyone is going to come up with.

Unfortunately, it looks like it‘s going to be another no-show for me. Still working on the same project as last year, and it‘s still nowhere near completion. Hopefully, I‘ll be able to release it some time later this year. I‘m not planning on changing the year on the title screen again.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 am
I count with you for the testing&feeding Kagesan!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 pm
Rarr! :3

I'm pretty new here, but I'm hoping having an entry ready in time for the coding competition.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!