Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Tidy SMS2 mods

Reply to topic
Tidy SMS2 mods
Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 am
Hi all. Thought i would share some stuff ive been working on. Just a couple of tidy ways to add typical mods. No hot glue or tape or anything crude like that here.

There is dual bios, FM sound, 50/60hz/region/bios/fm switches, av mod using a 3.5mm 4 pole jack and a power led. Its all been designed to solder straight in with minimal work.

The power LED uses a light pipe that sticks through the switch in the lid, so theres no messy wiring involved there. Ive done a plain green version and a RGB version too. I had plans for the RGB version but havn't ever got around to doing anything there.

The dual bios solders straight to the back of the factory bios. Just need to cut one track on the SMS board and add a wire in. Currently only have a 28 pin version but could do a 32 pin version for the later SMS2s. Would like to redesign this with a mapper so that all of the bios revisions could be added to make it a true multi bios but havn't had time and not sure theres enough room to do it like i have.

The AV mod board is really just a 4 pole 3.5mm jack that fits in place of the RF modulator. Ive removed some of the supporting components for the RF modulator and changed them to the correct resistor and capacitor values for the AV outs on the SMS2 board itself, which is why they don't appear to be there. Plan on doing an RGB version using the same 9 pin mini din connector as the genesis/mega drive 2 has. That will save having to drill extra holes and also allows for use of existing RGB cables.

The switch board was just to tidy that bit up and also allow for a connector to be used so they can be unplugged during assembly. The label on the back is done as a circuit board, just on 0.8mm material. Looks tidy and some what proper too.

The adapter for the FM sound i did a while ago. That solders straight onto the back of the cart socket. Nice and easy.
1.jpg (319.75 KB)
1.jpg
2.jpg (301.04 KB)
2.jpg
3.jpg (180.98 KB)
3.jpg
4.jpg (274.26 KB)
4.jpg
5.jpg (106.71 KB)
5.jpg
6.jpg (87.03 KB)
6.jpg
7.jpg (116.9 KB)
7.jpg
8.jpg (92.81 KB)
8.jpg
9.jpg (50.61 KB)
9.jpg
10.jpg (32.18 KB)
10.jpg
11.jpg (60.12 KB)
11.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 am
That's awesome, love your work!

I'm developing similar things for the MS1 and MS2.

I have a switchless 50/60Hz kit which is designed for a quick and clean install. All parts are included and I rewrote the code for the PIC to work much nicer.

Kit includes the PCB with socketed, programmed PIC. Bi-colour LED, 5mm for MS1 and 3mm for MS2. Blue/green colour combo. MS1 kit includes a replacement LED spacer that accomodates the 3 pins of the LED, two go into the motherboard in the same spot as the original and one leg bends up on the outside. MS2 kit includes a 3mm LED housing/clip for a neat finish. All wiring and an adhesive tab is included, shipped in an anti static bag.

Also working on a composite video/s-video/ntsc-pal video board. I've taken the same approach as you by using a 4 pole TRSS plug for unobtrusive installation. The video amp works exceptionally well, rock solid composite and crisp jailbar free s-vhs.

Also have panel mount 8 din sockets for RGB installs, same pinout/spacing as original MS. Not worrying about a kit as it's trivial to just tap the video chip and use a standard rgb scart cable, which omits the need for additional components to be installed inside the console.

These are old photos, the boards have seen some improvements since.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 am
I did consider doing something with svideo but did many tvs actually have it? Only high end stuff in the CRT age had it here in NZ, and i havn't seen it on LCD based tvs in a long long time.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:43 am
Yeah it's not terribly common nowadays. I'm in Australia and have a few CRT's that utilise s-vhs so it was worth it for me.

I really like your fm adapter, very handy.

Regarding the switches, I like the pcb panel, very clever. I think the mounting screws kind of let it down though. I use 10mm round push button switches now, easy to install and they look great in my opinion. I'll see if I can dig up a pic...

I just threw one in a jiffy box, but you get the idea.
20171127_211705.jpg (4.29 MB)
20171127_211705.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 am
Yea.. not really a fan of these slide switches either but there easy and almost of the right looking vintage + there fairly low profile. A step up from mini toggle switches anyway!

There's an illuminated version of those buttons. I think there really awesome, just a pity they are quite expensive.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:12 pm
I know I am necroposting here but wasup's mod pcbs are so awesome - especially the expansion port one - are they lost in time? can someone buy them from someplace?
Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:47 pm
I agree, this is awesome and I am also interested in finding out if any of these boards are available for sale. If not are gerbers and bill of materials posted online anywhere? I am planning to do an SMS2 with FM mod and replace Rf jack with SMS1 jack for RGB (maybe a MD2 jack so that it requires less drilling, but I really wanted to be able to reuse the RGB to BNC/Phoenix cable that I purchased for my SMS1 so I don’t waste $65) - therefore you expansion port board would be an amazing help in ensuring a high quality and clean install, and if you ever did make a board to do RGB instead of the 3.5mm it would be even better. I may also do the 50/60hz and region switching but using Borti’s switchless mod - so your bios board would be great too.

I am planning the SMS2 because after sourcing a good condition SMS1 and doing the FM mod install, I went to set it up with the rest of my consoles only to find out it is too wide for my shelves. So I was forced to put it up on the top shelf on top of my extron Crosspoint switch. This looks so out of place and drives me crazy. Therefore I am looking to get an SMS2 - which will fit my shelves -and mod it for RGB and FM. Then I can eithe save my SMS1 as a backup or sell it to someone who will give it a good home.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 am
Hay.. sorry been in hibernation the last 6 months odd. Life kinda tends to get in the way and projects forgotten about.

Ive got a 40 - 50 odd of the fm expansion boards some where in a box.. i can dig those out. They cost me $4.50 usd each, so if your happy with that then i can send you how ever many you need. I asume snail mail for shipping would be ~ $7 - 10 usd depending on where its going, Im in new zealand.

Can do the bios boards too.. just have to check if ive got any.

I started looking at an rgb board using a md2 connector instesd of a 3.5mm jack. I got sockets for it but never got any further. I can revisit that soon if you like.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 pm
I’d definitely be interested in purchasing the FM expansion board and BIOS board if you can find it. I may end up trying to buy a French SMS2 for the factory RGB port, but if not then your solution for RGB would be great so I’ll keep an eye out for it.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:19 pm
whats the website you sell this ?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!