Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game gear power board issue

Reply to topic
Game gear power board issue
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:43 pm
Hi all. I'm having an issue with a game gear power board I recapped. When powering it on and checking the pin outs the 5V pins will start at 5v and drop pretty rapidly down to zero. The 34v pin will start at around 18v and also drop in voltage rapidly. Any help with what can be the issue would be great! Thank you
Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:13 am
34v is required for the GG LCD screen to work at all. I doubt you will ever get video with <30V.

Do you have a pic of your cap replacement job? Cleaning the board with alcohol might be a good idea too.

otherwise I could send you a replacement power board. I have some spares.

Also, don't test it with the GG plugged in. Isolate the issue between the two boards, measure the +5 and +34 on just the power board.

-Segasonicfan
Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm
OldManGamer wrote
Hi all. I'm having an issue with a game gear power board I recapped. When powering it on and checking the pin outs the 5V pins will start at 5v and drop pretty rapidly down to zero. The 34v pin will start at around 18v and also drop in voltage rapidly. Any help with what can be the issue would be great! Thank you

Yes, I agree with Segasonicfan! You should post up some pics so we can see the board. These power boards, depending on which version, can also have a tantalum cap on the bottom side that may need replaced too!

Gary
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!