Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Shadow Dancer info (UPDATE)

Reply to topic
Shadow Dancer info (UPDATE)
Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 am
Last edited by 386DX on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi,

I'd like to ask in your opinion why Shadow Dancer seems to be a different game to emulate or run in different enviroment than the original SMS.
In past I remember many emulators (maybe based on the same core I don't remember) had problems running this game, often didn't even run with grey background at boot.
I am trying to run it (original PAL cartridge) on a PAL Mega Drive II with the first Mega Drive Converter without its case. Most games I have run but just as I was expecting, Shadow Dancer seems to not run. I never heard of this problem so maybe it's related to the converter being designed for the first MD or the MD-II (v1.8) having different asic.
But anyway, is something coded in different way on this game?
Thank
Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 pm
Shadow Dancer needs the stack pointer to be initialized to certain value (I think 0xdff0, don't quote me on this) before the game loads, otherwise it will hang up. It's probably expecting the sms bios to take care of this, but in the case of some converters, there is no bios.

best regards,
- dink
Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm
dink wrote
Shadow Dancer needs the stack pointer to be initialized to certain value (I think 0xdff0, don't quote me on this) before the game loads, otherwise it will hang up. It's probably expecting the sms bios to take care of this, but in the case of some converters, there is no bios.

best regards,
- dink

Thanks, I always thought there was something different on this game. I'm using the official converter with that IC that should improve compatibility but still I can't get it to run.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:56 am
If I understand how the convertors work, they don't have a BIOS on them, they just change the pin connectors to work on the MegaDrive. You may need to get a real Master System to play them.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 am
douglie007 wrote
If I understand how the convertors work, they don't have a BIOS on them, they just change the pin connectors to work on the MegaDrive. You may need to get a real Master System to play them.

I always thought the SMS bios didn't do anything but just a cartridge checking. (?)

Anyway I have the SMS1 and soon the second one, but I liked testing these converters technically and see if actual gameplay differ or not in games. Until now I can hear differences in sound. Zillion on the MD2 imho shows why some say the MD2 had not good sound output.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am
386DX wrote
douglie007 wrote

I always thought the SMS bios didn't do anything but just a cartridge checking. (?)

Anyway I have the SMS1 and soon the second one, but I liked testing these converters technically and see if actual gameplay differ or not in games.

If Dink is correct, then the Shadow Dancer may use something from the BIOS. if thats the case the game worldnt work without one
Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 am
douglie007 wrote
386DX wrote
douglie007 wrote

Anyway I have the SMS1 and soon the second one, but I liked testing these converters technically and see if actual gameplay differ or not in games.

If Dink is correct, then the Shadow Dancer may use something from the BIOS. if thats the case the game worldnt work without one

Yeah, would be technically interesting to know how emulators solved that problem when most don't use the original bios.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am
386DX wrote

Yeah, would be technically interesting to know how emulators solved that problem when most don't use the original bios.

I wonder if the header was changed on the ROM. I assume you are using the real cart. I will test the ROM on my Genesis and my SMS later.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am
douglie007 wrote
386DX wrote

I wonder if the header was changed on the ROM. I assume you are using the real cart. I will test the ROM on my Genesis and my SMS later.

Sure, I am using the original PAL cartridge on a original PAL MD2 with the original Power Base Converter (europe) for MD1 running without its case.
Thanks for the test, it's more a technical interest on this "alternative but official" solutions. For example it works with the Master Gear converter on the GG.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:53 am
I ended up picked up a couple power base minis from db electronics. Used it on my pal md2 with my pal release of shadow dancer.

First I thought it was faulty. Turns out it just took a really really long time for the cart to work. Plug any other game in and it would work almost first time.

I thought it was pretty weird that shadow dancer wouldn't want to read. Just thought it was my cart. But it plays instantly both of my sms1 consoles as well as sms2.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 am
k4l wrote
I ended up picked up a couple power base minis from db electronics. Used it on my pal md2 with my pal release of shadow dancer.

First I thought it was faulty. Turns out it just took a really really long time for the cart to work. Plug any other game in and it would work almost first time.

I thought it was pretty weird that shadow dancer wouldn't want to read. Just thought it was my cart. But it plays instantly both of my sms1 consoles as well as sms2.

But 'long time' mean I need to "reboot" the MD many times until it works or just wait at the first boot?
Thank
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:09 pm
It's simple, we just set the stack pointer(SP) to 0xdff0 before booting the game - the same thing the bios would do anyways.

386DX wrote
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:24 pm
Reseating the game..powering off the console and powering it back on.

386DX wrote
k4l wrote

But 'long time' mean I need to "reboot" the MD many times until it works or just wait at the first boot?
Thank
Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 pm
k4l wrote
Reseating the game..powering off the console and powering it back on.

386DX wrote
k4l wrote

Thank

It's right. After I don't know many times I reset the MD2 with the adapter, the game ran! Incredible. It's really the only game I tried that does this.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 pm
UPDATE:

I am trying the second version of the official Master System Converter (the one for the Mega Drive II) and beside the perfect case combination and stable physical connection, Shadow Dancer run every time I tried at boot and so other games!
I've seen on this forum that beside some passive components it should be identical to the pcb layout of the first Power Base Converter but I don't know if the on board IC is working differently or the lack of the old cards connector solved this.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!