Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Master System on Mega Drive converter (updated!)

Reply to topic
Master System on Mega Drive converter (updated!)
Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:08 pm
Last edited by 386DX on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi,

I'd like to know if the Mega Drive with the Master System adapter (original or unofficial versions) for both first or second console version, is perfectly accurated or has some limitations. I read something about some modes not present on the Mega Drive VDP.
And what about the Zilog Z80, is it perfectly compatible?
Cause the converter is quiet expensive and probably the original Master System is cheaper than the converter itself.
Thank

EDIT: adapter arrived read last post
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:04 am
VDP modes 0 through 3 aren't usable, and neither would the 224/240 tall modes from the SMSII either - somewhat counter-intuitively.

There's a few other edge cases listed in Charles MacDonald's documentation, otherwise I'm going to leave this whole she-bang to other people much much smarter than me.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:11 am

Your question is biased. The only thing that you should care about is: which game are going to run or not run with your Mega Adapter? The rough answer is that the majority of games work with the Mega Adapter, but not all.

A small number of games also have problem playing with a Megadrive controller, but that's not a Mega Adapter issue, if you use a Master System controller they'll be playable. Some games won't work depending if you have a PAL/SECAM or NTSC system.

This thread has more information:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/12093-ListOfIncompatibilitiesAmongSMSGamesHardwar...

Also see: http://www.smspower.org/forums/10725-GenesisControllersWorkOnMasterSystem
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 am
Bock wrote

Your question is biased. The only thing that you should care about is: which game are going to run or not run with your Mega Adapter? The rough answer is that the majority of games work with the Mega Adapter, but not all.

A small number of games also have problem playing with a Megadrive controller, but that's not a Mega Adapter issue, if you use a Master System controller they'll be playable. Some games won't work depending if you have a PAL/SECAM or NTSC system.

This thread has more information:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/12093-ListOfIncompatibilitiesAmongSMSGamesHardwar...

Also see: http://www.smspower.org/forums/10725-GenesisControllersWorkOnMasterSystem

Thank you! Interesting, I already have the first Master System PAL but I was thinking to use the "cheaper" Mega Drive 2 to see how technically it runs MS games and to not use too much my Master System.
But the official adapter for the Mega Drive 2 is rare and expensive compared to the Power Base Converter so maybe I could look for this last one modded or the unofficial ones I don't really like a lot.

About the Zilog Z80 I was curious to know which differences are there considering how reduced is the cpu package of the MD2 Z80.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:49 pm
I'd daresay I'd go with a third party adapter anyway. YM2413 support on some of them is nothing to scoff at!

Stone Age Gamer sells them, for example... now if they weren't out of stock!
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:12 pm
Flygon wrote
I'd daresay I'd go with a third party adapter anyway. YM2413 support on some of them is nothing to scoff at!

Stone Age Gamer sells them, for example... now if they weren't out of stock!

But what about the Bios instruction that seems to be in the original and not the unofficials?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:07 pm
The Sega adaptor does not have a BIOS screen.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm
Maxim wrote
The Sega adaptor does not have a BIOS screen.

Just for curiosity I was reading this post in the first link above:

Likely very little difference as the PBC is mainly a "rewire" of SMS lines to MD lines, there isn't much to it. Sega found a good (cheap) way to monetize the back catalog with the PBC (it was free on the Mark III). Flubba verified there seemed to be a small 2? instruction BIOS with the PBC though, so if the HES doesn't have that maybe there would be differences.

So the official adapters have something more of the unofficials?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:05 pm
Yes, it's not a BIOS in the sense it's usually used, but it may marginally improve compatibility.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:52 pm
The original Master System converter for the first Mega Drive arrived. It was alread modded for the second Mega Drive version but still seems that the plastic case don't really fit well the console.
I tried it without the plastic case and games run.

First considerations but need to review deeply this thing:

-Zillion runs well, but first with the RGB third party cable I have, lot of background noise is there. It's not adapter related anyway (cable or MD2). The games seems identical to the original hw even if sound beside the noise seems also less deep in some way different.

-Master of Darness, run well too but I occasionally feel some slowdowns like stopping for a frame during the sprite is walking, I don't remember this on the original need to try.

-Shadow Dancer... doesn't run! I remember this game having problem on many emulators years ago (maybe all based on the same one I don't remember), but it seems to run with a full screen grey color and than black and nothing happens.

-After Burner runs ok.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!