SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Spy vs. Spy - Your thoughts

Reply to topic
Spy vs. Spy - Your thoughts
Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:58 pm
Hi guys!

I have Spy vs. Spy since my childhood, but I was never able to get it to the end (not nearly). I remember that my uncle made it very far in the 90s, he reached stages were the colours of the rooms were only black and white and not colorful anymore. These stages had loads of floors, it´s crazy.

Has anybody ever completed Spy vs. Spy?
What´s your memories of this game?
What´s your tips and tricks to survive as long as possible?
Does anybody know how many stages the game has in overall?

Cheers!
Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:39 am
Hello,
This is really a game I liked. I spent many hours there.
With 32 KB, it's really a good one. I especially loved to play with friends, to put traps everywhere, to try constantly to watch the 2 screens to see what happens.
I finished it a very long time ago, as far as remember there was just one screen that gave the score and a text like "you are the best spy".
I think there were 16 levels.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 pm
I think I was five years old when we bought it so all I remember was playing this game with my mom :)
Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 pm
Last edited by Gordman on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Thanks for the comments Balkry and Kenneth =)

Yeah, the game is much underrated in 2 player mode. I love the music, because you can play it for hours and the music never gets boring.

I think I´m gonny play it later, even if it´s a bit late right now but I´m gonna do a little night session =D

For the ending screen: It´s one of those games where the game itself is the real challenge instead of trying to reach the ending screen. Sometimes it´s a pity.
16 levels only? Well, I remember that the difficulty rises up pretty fast. The latest levels are super hard to beat in only 10 minutes.

Edit: You have way more time than 10 minutes, I´ne noticed that right now :D
Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:41 pm
Hi!

I owned the game, but it took me some time to really understand what was going on, but then I loved it. However, it was just too hard for me, I definitely didn't finish it, I only won a few levels before the other spy beat me.

Unfortunately I was never able to play the 2-player mode.

Besides: most of my SMS games I didn't finish. Altered Beast for example took me ages to play through half of the levels. Watching only 15min (?) long play-throughs on Youtube 30 years later is a bit embarassing :D.

Bye,
Knaeckebrot
Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 am
Knaeckebrot wrote
Hi!

I owned the game, but it took me some time to really understand what was going on, but then I loved it. However, it was just too hard for me, I definitely didn't finish it, I only won a few levels before the other spy beat me.

Unfortunately I was never able to play the 2-player mode.

Besides: most of my SMS games I didn't finish. Altered Beast for example took me ages to play through half of the levels. Watching only 15min (?) long play-throughs on Youtube 30 years later is a bit embarassing :D.

Bye,
Knaeckebrot

Hi dude! :D

You have the chance to choose the difficulty (which means the intelligence of the black spy). I played it with medium difficulty right now, started at level 2 and reached level B I guess (which should be round 11 or 12).

Some rounds (even the later ones) can be beaten pretty fast sometimes. I finished round 8 within two minutes because the items were well placed and easy to get (not far away from each other). It´s a cracking game but endless fun.

*off topic* I know what you mean. My uncle was a crazy player in his youth. I remember when he played the final fight in Yoshi´s Island against that giant Baby Bowser and he was able to attack him without giving him the chance to attack. In the end that giant Baby Bowser was falling down at the very end of the screen and was defeated. I have never seen something like this again, I don´t even think that somebody ever did a similar thing. Some youtubers are crazy as well with their speedruns and longplays *phew* ^^
Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:11 pm
Ahh yea, one of my childhood favorites:) 2-player mode is the best!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 pm
Got the Sega Card version in 1987 and it quickly became one of my favourite games. I wouldn't be surprised if Bonanza Bros was inspired by it.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 am
I remembered this guy really loved spy vs spy ^^

http://www.rhod.fr/spyvsspy.html
Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:36 am
Wow, what a fan of the series!^^ Impressive.

I played the game yesterday and made it to the final level. It seems that there is only one airport exit and there are about 7 to 8 floors full of rooms and ladders. It´s gigantic, holy shit. I wasn´t able to finish the game yet (I had all the items though, but didn´t find the exit), but I will try it again. It´s still so addictive.

I have the PS2 version of Spy vs. Spy as well, but my motion sickness makes me problems -,-
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 am
The Sega Card version of Spy vs. Spy was one of my first Master System games, and I loved it. I played it in 2-player mode almost exclusively.

It's a pity that The Island Capers and Arctic Antics never found their way to the Master System, as I feel that the SMS version of the first game is superior to the original versions and the sequels would have worked beautifully on the Master System.

Unfortunately, I lost my Sega Card of the game many years ago, and I haven't reacquired it since, because it commands pretty high prices nowadays. Just getting the cart version is no option for me, as it just feels wrong to play cart versions of games that were originally released on card on a machine that has a card slot. (I just realised that last sentence sounds a bit weird. I hope it makes sense to anyone.)
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:17 am
Kagesan wrote
I haven't reacquired it since, because it commands pretty high prices nowadays.

The price on eBay Germany for the card version is around 30€. Is this pretty high?
Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:49 am
I loved this game on card too. 2-player mode was awesome. Booby trapping the exits to a player spawn room never got old. The music was one of the first things I really wanted to play once I got my hands on a guitar - I loved the melody and staccato rhythm of the first section and how it contrasted with the 'funk' of the second. Once I had my own rendition of it down I taunted my musician friends with it for years, and recorded a version of if only a few years ago.

Unfortunately I'm not too confident about how quickly I'd be able to fall back into being able to play the game though, not without thoroughly reading through the instruction manual to remind myself of how to use and counter all the items. I could finish it pretty easily as a kid. It has to be considered the best Sega Card game in my view.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 am
bumtree wrote
The music was one of the first things I really wanted to play once I got my hands on a guitar - I loved the melody and staccato rhythm of the first section and how it contrasted with the 'funk' of the second. Once I had my own rendition of it down I taunted my musician friends with it for years, and recorded a version of if only a few years ago..

Great story! I would be interested to listen to your version of the music, please share if you like =) And yes I agree to the first part of the music theme, it´s pretty awesome.

Well, it seems that I am the only one who owns the cartridge version of Spy vs. Spy since childhood^^
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!