Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - GG Shinobi 2 and Streets of Rage 2 (GG Speedruns)

Reply to topic
GG Shinobi 2 and Streets of Rage 2 (GG Speedruns)
Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:56 am
For anybody that missed it, there were a few Game Gear speedruns at ESA this year. ESA are terrible at uploading runs, but thankfully the runner has uploaded his runs.

First up, GG Shinobi 2 100%. Blue Ninja whip storage is a pretty crazy glitch I never knew about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1P8mbc2XA

The next one is neat to see, because it's such an obscure choice. Streets of Rage 2 Co-op on the Game Gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3BHEv_XPg

It's neat seeing 8 bit Sega games being run. The only ones I have seen before are the Sonic games.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 pm
:o

Runner for both of those games, me and Btrim did a co-op playthrough last year and thought it was a really good 8-bit brawler, a year later we did an actual run for ESA. It was a lot of fun and I taught him how to effectively play as Blaze (the weaker character of the 2) and Super abuse against some of the bosses.

Game Gear Shinobi 2 was done because I did a good amount of 100% runs for the first game which was available on 3DS through eShop, the second game sadly did not get a re-release so the only legal way to do runs was to play the game on the actual Game Gear. The first few minutes wasn't my best but the rest of the run went decent.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:17 am
Didn't realise you were on the forum, although you're clearly an 8 bit fan so it makes sense :p

I've never even thought about running GG Shinobi 2 before (mainly because nobody runs GG stuff), but it looks pretty neat. I assume you figured out the storage trick? I'd be tempted to try it myself at some point, especially since the run isn't a long one!

I've seen your Fantasty Zone run too, which was also pretty neat. Especially since the game is so damn hard!

I'm hoping to go to ESA next year, so I hope you will be there doing more stuff like this!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm
Greenalink wrote
:o

Runner for both of those games, me and Btrim did a co-op playthrough last year and thought it was a really good 8-bit brawler, a year later we did an actual run for ESA. It was a lot of fun and I taught him how to effectively play as Blaze (the weaker character of the 2) and Super abuse against some of the bosses.

Greenalink, that was the first time I'd ever seen a Game Gear game being played in 2-player mode, and I can't thank you enough for it. While I call myself "Dreamcast Gamer" on most forums and on YouTube, the Game Gear is actually my favorite game system, and I take it everywhere (I'm going somewhere with it in a few minutes). I have a link cable, but sadly, only one Game Gear. In the near future, I plan on buying as many Game Gears as possible as well as buy all the games I can find for it and do a massive Game Gear review marathon next year. Again, thank you for showing the Game Gear some love.

Dallas
ESAWinter18 Game Gear Speedruns
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 pm
I went to a winter event in Sweden last month to raise money towards Save the Children and speedran 2 Game Gear games:

Streets of Rage 2 Game Gear - SOLO - Hard as Axel

Batman Returns Game Gear

Enjoy!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!