Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Why don't all Master System games work with RGB Scart?

Reply to topic
Why don't all Master System games work with RGB Scart?
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:51 pm
My scart cable finally arrived today so plugged it in turned the system on and the SEGA logo looked perfect. Sadly when I tried my cart of Alex Kidd in Miracle world the colour was all messed up the blue background didnt appear only a black colour and once I hit the sea in the first level it was a green colour.

So I tried changing to normal TV then back to scart AV channel and the right colours appeared for like a quarter of a second before looking terrible, so figured try a different game. Put Wonderboy in and it worked beautifully, tried Wonderboy in Monster Land and worked great too and Castle of illusion worked great too.

Then I tried Alex Kidd in Shinobi work and crap the same terrible colours like Miracle world was. Any ideas what the problem is? Can't be the scart otherwise none of the games would work and they are all PAL games but odd how some work and others dont.

I know my TV will work because in the manual the scart says RGB 50 & RGB 60 unless its a compatibility issue?
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:03 pm
Where did you get your scart cable from? Not all scart cables are created equal. I've.never had issues with these games on RGB scart. I run my console through a framemeister. All my consoles are PAL.

Might be worthy to take some photos of the issue and maybe open up that scart cable and show us too.

I've done some repair work on consoles where the video encoder chip was faulty. Caused by a modder who used a plumbers soldering iron. This cooked the chip and caused weird colours to display on certain games.

If you have a copy of sonic the hedgehog try that out for me. I'd be interested if you have the same issue.
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:59 pm
I'd start by re-flowing the AV connector. Basically, disassemble the SMS and add a bit more solder to each of the AV connector pins on the bottom. This fixed a few SMS's I've seen with video issues.
Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:22 am
What happens with composite?

Standard USA and PAL consoles accept the same RGB cables. That shouldn't be an issue. Some old TVs may not like the fact NTSC systems are 60hz only, but totally different symptoms.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!