SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Super Monaco GP Versions: NTSC Vs. PAL

Reply to topic
Super Monaco GP Versions: NTSC Vs. PAL
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm
Last edited by Ron_Stard on Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
As I [somewhat] mentioned on this post --> http://www.smspower.org/forums/16659-BestGamesOnTheMasterSystem#98120, the playability of the PAL and the NTSC versions of this game are as different as night and day:

-NTSC (USA) version allows the car to continuously skid along the road and grass, without spinning in any moment.
-PAL version (Europe) allows little skidding before the car goes mad and starts spinning, which is very frustrating.

Any idea of why these versions are so different, with respect to car control? What's the point of making EU version so damn difficult (or: what's the point of making USA version not so difficult)? Are there any other internal code differences?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 pm
I think the differences are not well known. I guess they made it easier because the harder version is almost unplayable...

There is a prototype dump, how does that compare?
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:23 pm
There's 1.0 and 1.1 in goodsms, both are UE, so either Europe got 1.0 and USA got 1.1 or PAL timings messed with the game physics.

I tried both versions in PAL and NTSC in an emulator and didn't see any major gameplay changes. I only played each version a few corners tho.
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:43 pm
Didn't know there were prototypes. According to Maxim's Header reader, these are the checksums for each versions I am referring to:

European/PAL/"Harder"

USA/NTSC/"Playable"

Tested with Kega Fusion. I can assure that "Harder" version is pretty unplayable when you face any corner.
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 pm
From the checksums, it seems like the harder version is rev 1.1 and the playable version is rev 1.0.

I tried 1.1 again and yep, there's a small zone between the grass and the red/white marks where the car does the spinning "crash", I think maybe only if you don't hold left or right...

PAL or NTSC timings don't matter actually.

It's odd, why would they make a revised version that's less playable?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:19 pm
The revision made it easier/playable.
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:16 pm
The easy/hard distinction is new to me. I grew up with the PAL/hard version, and have put a reasonable amount of hours into it. It was indeed hard, but not too hard/unplayable, as far as I remember. The trick is to have softer tires and a heavy wing (from memory, might be inaccurate), and develop a sense of how much skidding your car can take before it spins. During curves, one must (for a brief moment) release the dpad just before the skidding makes the car spin - then continue turning/skidding... releasing..repeat. Oh, good memories coming back :)
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:18 pm
hang-on wrote
The easy/hard distinction is new to me. I grew up with the PAL/hard version, and have put a reasonable amount of hours into it. It was indeed hard, but not too hard/unplayable, as far as I remember. The trick is to have softer tires and a heavy wing (from memory, might be inaccurate), and develop a sense of how much skidding your car can take before it spins. During curves, one must (for a brief moment) release the dpad just before the skidding makes the car spin - then continue turning/skidding... releasing..repeat. Oh, good memories coming back :)

I also love this game. I played the European version via actual cart on my SMS2, but only managed to end the game with USA version in an emulator.

Despite the changes, the Spanish circuit is hard as hell as usual in both versions XD!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:25 am
Try to refer to meka.nam ( https://github.com/ocornut/meka/blob/master/meka/meka.nam ) for labelling because GoodSMS has lots of fault.

Here are the SMS from cartridge I've dumped:
SMS 55bf81a0 59B3C79CC4A7DE48   Super Monaco GP/COUNTRY=EU,BR/PRODUCT_NO=7043,025310
SMS 3ef12baa 848ACF83D5A4DE49   Super Monaco GP/COUNTRY=US/PRODUCT_NO=7043
SMS a1d6d963 CA2E38E7805970A0   Super Monaco GP [Proto 0]/FLAGS=PROTO/COMMENT=Prototype version of the game.
SMS dd7adbcc C9712D78F61127F3   Super Monaco GP [Proto 1]/FLAGS=PROTO/COMMENT=Prototype version of the game.

Maybe also worth investigating the prototypes.
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:17 pm
Bock wrote

I've tested them. Both "Proto 0" and "Proto 1" have the same draconian controls of the PAL/Europe version.

In Proto 0, on the race presentation screen, there is a number 0 at the right part of the circuit shilouette box, but I ignore what represents.
Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 am
The EU version has some code (at $1db1 - $1dcb) which initiates a spin if certain conditions (presumably representing excessive steering) hold for 30 consecutive frames. The US version removes this code, replacing it with a single instruction that simply resets the frame counter to 29.

Ron_Stard wrote
Are there any other internal code differences?

The US version also has an extra single-byte instruction at $70b2 which fixes a bug in the EU version. In the earlier ROM, the Grand Prix Mode's "World Champion" ending screen is only shown if player 1 is top of the points ranking after all 16 races. The later ROM corrects the code to also show this ending if it is a 2-player game and player 2 is top.

However, the exact same bug remains unfixed for the "Once More Chance" ending screen which is used for points ranking positions 2 through 6 - only player 1's position is ever considered.

It looks like, at some point before [Proto 0], both screens correctly considered both players, but did not check whether it was a 1- or 2-player game. This could cause the ending screens to show in 1-player mode for the computer-controlled second player. Code was inserted to prevent player 2 being considered in a 1-player game, but this inadvertently prevented player 2 being considered at all.

This bug fix is the only other difference between the EU and US versions.

Bock wrote

As expected, the prototypes both match the earlier EU version - they both have the spin initiation code and the player 2 ending bug.

The Game Gear versions both include the later frame counter reset code, not the spin initiation code. The player 2 ending bug is presumably not applicable because the GG's 2-player mode is very different from the SMS's - it uses the Gear-to-Gear cable.
Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:39 am
Thank you for the research, RetroSpark! I still have to test which version is embedded in the Master Games 1 cartridge, but chances are it's the PAL one.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!