Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wolfchild and Chuck Rock (improvements?)

Reply to topic
Wolfchild and Chuck Rock (improvements?)
Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:03 pm
These games have no music.
Although i think they're not bad games.
I was thinking can someone hack them games and ''inject'' some in-game music or some improvements like dropping some backgrounds on chuck rock 1 ?
Is this possible or was there something that kept them away from putting music in the games (limited memory?) .
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:09 pm
Backgrounds in Chuck Rock would be quite hard, but adding music would not be - but may introduce (or increase) slowdown.

Backgrounds would contend on video memory and possibly on the level layout engine's efficiency (if it is taking advantage of the sparse nature). Sound is just ROM space (not a big deal) and CPU (more of a problem).
Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:17 pm
Maxim wrote
Backgrounds in Chuck Rock would be quite hard, but adding music would not be - but may introduce (or increase) slowdown.

Backgrounds would contend on video memory and possibly on the level layout engine's efficiency (if it is taking advantage of the sparse nature). Sound is just ROM space (not a big deal) and CPU (more of a problem).

Hi Maxim. Thanks for your kind answer.

Surely adding music to it wouldn't slow the game much or would it?
It's a shame that these two games lack in game music because aesthetically they look great , specially wolfchild !

Chuck Rock 2 looks kinda on the same style as these and it's got music so i really don't understand what kept them from putting music in it. :s
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:58 am
Quite likely budget was a factor. The music engine might take 10-20% of the CPU, not a small amount in these games and maybe they dropped it to avoid slowdown.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 am
Maxim wrote
Quite likely budget was a factor. The music engine might take 10-20% of the CPU, not a small amount in these games and maybe they dropped it to avoid slowdown.

Hi Maxim.
There are other games by virgin that got music and xenon2 is by far one of the worst and didn't kept them back from putting music in it.
Probably the best example would be global gladiators.
If someone hacks these games and puts them in a cartridge one of these days I'll buy it , specially wolfchild. :)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 pm
Do you think it'd be possible to add music to Chuck Rock without the slowdown nowadays? Maybe some unessessary stuff could be removed to compensate? Either way, Chuck Rock is a great game with or without music.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 pm
I agree both games are great.
I love Wolfchild and i would gladly purchase a new copy with a music hack because the original version doesn't have any in game songs it feels like you're playing atari .

Anyways even if music is added let's not forget there's only one tune in both games. To have them looping over every level that would probably become irritating. Wolfchilds tune is pretty good anyways.
I don't know if same happens in Xenon 2 , the same song playing on all levels but at least in global gladiators they didnt mess up there's at least 2-3 tunes.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!