Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Paddle Game Control Pad Patches

Reply to topic
Paddle Game Control Pad Patches
Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:00 pm
Last edited by mangaman3000 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi,
I'm new here. I recently found a battered old Game gear and decided to restore it, I also installed the McWill LCD mod and got an Everdrive. I've never been much of a sega fan (apart from my beloved Dreamcast) but have found the SMS and GG games charming.

I'd like to get as many possible games working on it and came across the paddle controller games. Of course they have no control on the game gear so I thought id have a look and see if there are any patches. Failing to find any I knocked these ones up. I hope they can be of use to someone else.

Also I'm aware that there is already a Woody Pop hack (Super Arkanoid) but decided to make my own as I think my code is a little more tidy and leaves more of the original rom intact.

Edit: Added controls for player 2 in Galactic Protector

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:41 pm
That's awesome, and often requested. What sort of algorithm did you use for approximating the paddle control? Digital control is going to be very difficult to apply to a game requiring fast, precise paddle rotation.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:35 pm
Maxim wrote
That's awesome, and often requested. What sort of algorithm did you use for approximating the paddle control? Digital control is going to be very difficult to apply to a game requiring fast, precise paddle rotation.

Hi Maxim,
Thanks for your reply.
Obviously the patches do use digital control, no algorithm is going to make a single button press into anything other than a single button press. I'm working with what the game gear has. Honestly I don't think these games do require fast, precise paddle rotation, they're hardly call of duty, nor do I expect my hacks to be used at the annual Megumi Rescue tournament. I've had a blast playing these games on my Game Gear over the last couple of days and I'd much rather play them with digital controls rather than not at all. Anyway, I hope I have at least contributed to this awesome community.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm
Awesome work, thank you!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:18 pm
Thank you for these! I came up with a similar solution on the emulator side of things a few years ago. Nice that I can play them in emulators that aren't trash now or off a flash cart and regular pad.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 pm
Very very nice work !
Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm
Experimenting with my SMS Everdrive, I found this thread by chance. It is really great to be able to use a regular controller for these games.

I'd like to thank the OP for the hacks, and also to make a request, if possible

Hacked versions of Megumi Rescue and Woody Pop have issues with Genesis controllers. I suspect that it is the same problem that happens with Wonderboy In Monster Land (Line Select), and that was solved using region detection patches:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1203.0

If someone skilled could take a look, more people will be able to play those games.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:36 am
Well, while not a big deal for many, I managed to fix those games following the pattern left by other game fixes like Tennis Ace and Alien Syndrome.

Genesis control fixed games are:

Megumi Rescue
Super Racing
Woody Pop

For Super Racing, it only detects the controller if the region is forced to (J). So I used this solution given by Barone:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/9921-HackedWoodyPopBMXTrialSuperRacingAndOtherPad...

agostinhobaroners wrote
Hi!
Just replace the following addresses with 00 value:
C0B, C0C, C0D, C0E

Thanks to all parts involved in these hacks!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05 pm
Great work on those, splc81. Thanks!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!