Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake!

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Awesome game, truly amazing. I'll have to buy one of the current gen systems when this comes out.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:09 pm
Arghh my voice, I want to punch myself in the face when I hear it recorded!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:51 am
Hey Bock. I saw you on MJR's channel. I'm really looking forward to the remake. Take care!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 am
Bock wrote

Your voice is fine. Everybody hates hearing their own voice. My voice sounds like a monotonous sounding boneless weakling.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:27 am
D wrote
Bock wrote

Your voice is fine. Everybody hates hearing their own voice. My voice sounds like a monotonous sounding boneless weakling.

I don't know why you say that, I like my nice voice :D
Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:19 pm
It looks really good , congratulations to all of you involved in this project!
I never had the chance to play the original which one day i might get if it's not insane price like most games are.
Personally I love Wonderboy in Monster World more and i consider that one to be the best of the series , but one day i'll give this one a shot. :)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:44 am
It's looking amazing, and what's so great is to read such positive comments from people who have never played the original (at least from reading Youtube comments from the Metal Jesus video). It's great PR which really expressed your passion for the game, and the effort that you've put into it.

A lot of the comments were like "I've never heard of this game, but the devs make this game look so good, I want to play it. You should do this more often!" It sounds like a win win for both of you.

As for the voice, I always feel the same about mine (country accent ... nobody understands me in America ...), but actually you just sound French, it's a nice accent which sells the game well.

Edit: My only issue (based on title screen) ... no green hair?
Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 pm
I watched a bit of the video because bock was complaining about his voice but imo its fine and there's nothing wrong with you guys accent plus I didn't have any problems understanding what you guys were saying.
It's great the community is positive about it so that it encourages developers to make new things and personally I'd like to see more new master system games and remakes like these are welcome too although I'm more inclined to new master system games :p ,but it's clear that you guys put your heart and soul into this. All the drawings , design , its cartoonish and not pixelated sure but that's how most hd 2d games are nowadays anyways. You guys certainly achieved something great here and it's giving people a new chance to experience a classic again for both newcomers and old school gamers .
Long live the master system and keep up the good work!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:21 pm
the video is great, audio isn't perfect but that's not because of Bock's voice, sure! What it disturbs me a lot is that you can actually play and explain the things at the same time... while I suck at playing only, not to mention if I'm also talking :p
Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:25 pm
sverx wrote
What it disturbs me a lot is that you can actually play and explain the things at the same time...

I would imagine that Bock has played those levels a lot! ;-) He could probably do it in his sleep.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 am
efry wrote
sverx wrote
What it disturbs me a lot is that you can actually play and explain the things at the same time...

I would imagine that Bock has played those levels a lot! ;-) He could probably do it in his sleep.

I think I could do it; I've finished WB3 probably over 200 times
Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:04 pm
Can't wait for April and the release :)
Btw, will it be downloadable only or will we have a physical release for the game ? And if so, how many different versions will there be :collectortalking: ^^ ?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:22 pm
I would buy a physical edition if would be released, but anyway, I'll wait for the PC version, I do not have any new generation console.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:58 am
Just read the interview on Ni****do Life:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/feature_bringing_the_sega_classic_wonde...

I have to say it is a bit disappointing that hard mode has a count down timer similar to Monster Land. That's not what Dragon's Trap was about, and even in Monster Land it was a design restriction because it was an arcade game (players needed to die regularly or the game didn't make money). Nishizawa himself mentions in the Dev Diary that they moved to home consoles to avoid these type of restrictions. I was looking forward to a harder challenge in hard mode, but I don't want to be in a rush with a timer bleeding my health.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 am
Logbomber wrote
Just read the interview on Ni****do Life:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/feature_bringing_the_sega_classic_wonde...

I have to say it is a bit disappointing that hard mode has a count down timer similar to Monster Land. That's not what Dragon's Trap was about, and even in Monster Land it was a design restriction because it was an arcade game (players needed to die regularly or the game didn't make money). Nishizawa himself mentions in the Dev Diary that they moved to home consoles to avoid these type of restrictions. I was looking forward to a harder challenge in hard mode, but I don't want to be in a rush with a timer bleeding my health.

The other annoying thing is that they've made the Daimyo temple easier in normal difficulty... :(
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 am
LuckySword wrote
The other annoying thing is that they've made the Daimyo temple easier in normal difficulty... :(

So normal mode is going to be easier than the original and hard mode is going to have an annoying timer. The timer was the most annoying thing about Monster Land.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:45 am
Logbomber wrote
LuckySword wrote

So normal mode is going to be easier than the original and hard mode is going to have an annoying timer. The timer was the most annoying thing about Monster Land.

I agree.. I think the easing of the daimyo temple should just have been an easy-mode thing, and hard mode should just be faster attack speed on enemies and less armor for your character
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:59 am
On the positive side, the Ni****do Switch is apparently now the fastest selling Ni****do console in history at launch. It also has a lack of decent launch titles (aside from Zelda of course). So hopefully Dragon's Trap being released on Switch next month will give the game a huge boost while Switch users are looking for new titles to play. The timing seems really good!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:27 am
The tweak to the Japanese level are quite minor (the samurai balls took away too much health). The boss itself is a bit longer now.

Hard mode is for players like you who already know the game (and have explored it in Normal mode) so there isn't as much a need of exploring. All the enemies are harder, it's generally harder but not because of the hourglass (which in the end doesn't remove much once you are well equipped). If you grab life the hourglass turns back.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 am
I suppose there is no chance of removing the timer at this late stage is there. I was going to choose hard mode (if there was one available) and take my time with it on the first play through, maybe find a new secret or two. I guess I'll just do that in normal mode and go through hard mode later on.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:00 am
We've got a million things to do I can't yet say what we can still change or not. Still hoping to tweak the hard mode tho.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:25 am
I think the experienced players who want to choose hard mode would appreciate being able to take their time with it. So if it is possible that would be great.

Either way I don't want to sound too negative, this is a really exciting release and I have a feeling the game is going to do very well, especially with all the Switch consoles that have recently been sold and thousands of players who have just finished Zelda Breath of the Wild wanting to play something new. The fact that Wonder Boy has some similarities to Zelda could really work out well here. Great timing!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:28 pm
here comes a new challenger : Wonder Girl :)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:49 pm
I haven't been around in a while, but I wanted to come by and say how excited I am to be able to play as Wonder Girl! :) Everything is looking fantastic, I can't wait to play it!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 pm
This remake looks really good. I remember the first game.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 pm
Wonder Girl blog post: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/22/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-has-a-new-...

Video:

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:42 am
And here's another little blog post about it:
http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/post/201703_WonderBoyWonderGirl/

Along with an article in Paste: (prior to Girl reveal)
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/03/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-reviv...
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 pm
So, if one beats the game with Wondergirl, wil she become a Wo-man instead of a Hu-man? ;)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:44 pm
It should be Monica instead of Wondergirl.
An excellent opportunity to boost sales in Brazil was missed.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:51 pm
sure, but getting the rights would have cost a lot of money and time I suppose
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 pm
can be fixed on localization ;)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:57 pm
I see there is some debate going on about Wonder Girl on the net. I think it's reasonable that Mr Nishizawa didn't want Asha from MWIV in the game, but I was curious if Wonder Girl was partially inspired by Princess Purapril from Monster Lair?

By the way I really like the idea of being able to resume your save after beating the game and play as Hu-man. Very cool.
purapril.png (2.57 KB)
Princess Purapril
purapril.png

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 am
What will the 8-bit rendition of Wonder Girl look like? Or will she just exist in hires mode?
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:13 am
In the youtube link posted some days ago you can see her ;)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 pm
I finally played Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap on Game Gear and have been very impressed. I especially love how the game starts off. Now that I'm familiar with the game, I'm very interested in this remake.
  • Site Admin
Can't wait
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:18 pm
I am super excited to get this on my Switch. Congrats on this Omar.
No PC version listed on website?!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:59 pm
Hey all, I'm eagerly awaiting this remake, I thought it was out by now to be honest and went to buy the game today only to see it's still a couple of weesks away... and no mention of a PC release on the current website? :(

Is there any news on when this will be available for PC ? I don't have any current generation consoles, though I do want a PS4 and might end up buying it a little earlier than planned if the PC version is a long way off!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:55 pm
catapultaudio wrote
Hey all, I'm eagerly awaiting this remake, I thought it was out by now to be honest and went to buy the game today only to see it's still a couple of weesks away... and no mention of a PC release on the current website? :(

Is there any news on when this will be available for PC ? I don't have any current generation consoles, though I do want a PS4 and might end up buying it a little earlier than planned if the PC version is a long way off!

Hi, the game is definitively coming to PC but I have not finished making a reliable PC/Steam version and that will take a few extra weeks at minimum. So while we don't have an exact PC date I imagine it'll happen within a time not too long after April 18.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:42 am
I just saw that the game use trophy like recent games. Probably the worst idea :/

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 am
Revo wrote
I just saw that the game use trophy like recent games. Probably the worst idea :/

It is a requirement on modern consoles apart from Switch which doesn't have them. Doesn't really affect the gameplay and you can disable trophy notifications in the PS4 OS if you don't want to see them.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 am
I can't wait for PC version, depends on the price :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:05 am
law81 wrote
I can't wait for PC version, depends on the price :)

The game is $19.99 or equivalent (depending on currency) on all platforms.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:06 pm
The trophies/achievements do give us a clue concerning the new secrets. Can't wait to find them all ^_^
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:56 pm
They are supposed to be hidden/secret achievements but variety of sites are harvesting and leaking them. Best to ignore hints if you want to find them by yourself.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:01 pm
Oh I didn't realize they are secret achievements. The good thing is they don't actually help you find them.

On that topic, I'm in the game (Australian timezone). The graphics are great and so is the music which is awesome, but I just found my first secret door! No spoilers, all I'm going to say is the new secrets are better than I had hoped for ^_^
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:56 pm
I haven't been following this thread as closely as I should be so I don't know if this has already been discussed, but is it possible that this remake will also be released on PS3/Xbox 360 and maybe even Wii U? I'd prefer to stick with an older console to play the game rather than buy a new system or play it on PC.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:16 am
Just picked it up for PS4.

Thanks for bringing this to life!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:25 am
Congrats, Omar! I was excited all day long waiting for the Xbox One release! It's a shame that now I'm falling asleep, but I've played 1 hour in hard mode, it is very very nice! You made my day! Keep going!

P.S.: Play with Monica would be nice! She is very admired here in Brazil! But I understand the lack of rights. Maybe we can see her someday? :)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 am
Last edited by badsector on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
It is now available on the European eShop for Ni****do Switch. Will download it after work :)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 am
Congratulations on your delivery
Of course I will buy it.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!