Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake!

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:27 pm
I really like that drawing style too, very well done guys. There aren´t many games that look so artfully.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 pm
Bock wrote
Just posted a third mini video:
https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/803989102643257344

Piranha-man looks so cool ^_^
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:20 pm
Last edited by Bock on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
We also now posted a new dev diary video about the music and audio:

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/post/201612_DevDiary2/

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:42 pm
Nice! How many musicians!

Also, the walking style of the Lion-man with the sword by the floor is cool, I hadn't seen that yet.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:32 am
Not totally sure how I feel about that, but Polygon released 17 minutes of footage captured straight of HDMI from our PSX2016 event build. (We happily let them capture, I thought they'd edit and trim and use as b-roll, nopeee, it's all raw unedited, spoilers). Again, prototype footage..

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:53 pm
Bock wrote
Polygon released 17 minutes of footage captured straight of HDMI from our PSX2016 event build.

Wow, this was an up close look at the game. I briefly thought I wouldn't watch it then immediately gave in an absorbed every second of it. I made a few notes as I was watching:

- The parallax scrolling layers combined with the use of lighting effects really gives the game a real sense of visual depth. It looks incredible!

- The attention to detail in the background and foreground is fantastic. Things like the falling blossoms/petals in the gardens of the samurai castle look amazing. As does the active background in the lava area.

- I really enjoyed the different remixes of 'The Monster's Lair' track to suit the theme of the area. Especially the Samurai castle version, what a track!

- The game play looks very authentic. I am very used to where certain jumps land etc. and it didn't miss a beat. Maybe some of the enemies in the Samurai castle died slightly easier?

Yes I had a tear as I watched. It was the best game of the 8 bit era, and recreating and improving it was going to be difficult. What I have seen so far is brilliant. My hope is that many players from the new generation can appreciate this game just as much as we did back in the day. I have a feeling the game is going to do very well and successfully achieve that goal.

Oh and the nurse is even hotter in this version ^_^
Nurse.jpg (143.09 KB)
Nurse.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:26 pm
Well, let me say that this game is one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen. Will the player get some hints where he has to go in this game? It´s the only point of criticism I have for the original.

So it gets a PS4 release. Since the Switch is coming next year, I fear that it won´t be released for Wii U :,(
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:06 pm
The nurse is not meant to be hot, I've be arguing with Ben about this and I think it's absurd to make her look even remotely sexy like he did. I haven't finished writing her script tho, I hope to find lines good enough that she'll become a bit more weird cool and scary!

> Will the player get some hints where he has to go in this game? It´s the only point of criticism I have for the original.

Yes! The pig in the password shop will give hints. But we have to make them subtle enough.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 pm
Looking amazing as usual!

I do have a couple suggestions for minor improvements:

The floating skulls might look better if you added a subtle up and down sine wave movement to them. As-is, their movement seems somewhat rigid.

The Mummy dragon boss moves exactly like in the original, but when it moves quickly up and down, it seems a little stiff. If you were to add a slight ease-in / ease out, it would look a lot nicer.

Also, all the art looks great, but in mouse-man's stage, the original game has the deep jungle with a black background and green/turquoise vegetation. I really love the look of that area in the original game. Maybe make the far background a bit darker to more closely represent the look of the original?

Keep up the good work. This is the best remake I have ever seen.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 pm
Bock wrote
The nurse is not meant to be hot, I've be arguing with Ben about this and I think it's absurd to make her look even remotely sexy like he did.

"Remotely sexy" as it is now it's not disturbing (or distracting) at all, it's appropriate enough, IMHO. But maybe making her ugly and weird would be more funny ;)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:28 pm
Raccoon Lad wrote
The floating skulls might look better if you added a subtle up and down sine wave movement to them. As-is, their movement seems somewhat rigid.

Good idea, and pretty simple to implement, I've just done it!

The Mummy dragon boss moves exactly like in the original, but when it moves quickly up and down, it seems a little stiff. If you were to add a slight ease-in / ease out, it would look a lot nicer.

Yeah we still have a few tasks. Right now the timings are matching the origInal but I think we are going to slow its vertical movement first and then tweak that.

Also, all the art looks great, but in mouse-man's stage, the original game has the deep jungle with a black background and green/turquoise vegetation. I really love the look of that area in the original game. Maybe make the far background a bit darker to more closely represent the look of the original?

Well, we took some liberty on most areas so everybody is going to add a pet thieve or least favorite thing when comparing. Right now we've still go _so much_ on our plate to do that I don't think we would make drastic adjustment to this zone but I'm taking note of it!

Keep up the good work. This is the best remake I have ever seen.

On behalf of all team, thank you :)
Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:17 pm
Whole thing is so amazing. I absolutely love it; dream come true.

The only issue I have at this point is that in a lot of the music, the bass-line seems almost completely gone. For me; the tunes were very recognisable by their bass line. The jungle (mind of hero) theme is a good example of this, it seems incredibly subdued compared to the original.

To be clear, I do love the new music, but some of it is not quite what I expected.

Great work, I can't stop watching it :)
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:02 pm
Bock wrote
> Will the player get some hints where he has to go in this game? It´s the only point of criticism I have for the original.

Yes! The pig in the password shop will give hints. But we have to make them subtle enough.

Amazing, well done! ^,^
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:51 am
[quote="Bock"]
Raccoon Lad wrote

Yeah we still have a few tasks. Right now the timings are matching the origInal but I think we are going to slow its vertical movement first and then tweak that.

As it turns out we had a bug calculating the vertical speed of mummy dragon so it was way too fast in that build. It looks much better now that we fixed it.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:56 am
I hope you manage to do a physical release somehow. I'll be buying day one regardless, this looks like the best 8-bit remake ever (of the best 8-bit game ever).
Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:52 am
I take the ultra deluxe package with meet the programmers and stuff.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:57 pm
Bock wrote
Not totally sure how I feel about that, but Polygon released 17 minutes of footage captured straight of HDMI from our PSX2016 event build. (We happily let them capture, I thought they'd edit and trim and use as b-roll, nopeee, it's all raw unedited, spoilers). Again, prototype footage..

le perso a l'air de réagir exactement comme quand j'y jouais sur sms :) c'est vraiment pas mal du tout, bon j'aurais bien aimé l'avoir sur wii u .
  • Site Admin
Also coming to Ni****do Switch
Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:57 am
https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/819779403336929280

(full size: http://www.thedragonstrap.com/pictures/Switch-01.jpg)

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/post/201701_NintendoSwitch/
Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am
Now I would need to buy a switch! :-D
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:44 am
Physical copy with cartridge for N*ntendo Switch?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:11 pm
Revo wrote
Physical copy with cartridge for N*ntendo Switch?

We don't know.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:42 pm
I knew this would happen, so I´m out. I hope for you that the Switch won´t be a flop. Many people already have the Wii U, maybe the buyrate would have been better for it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:03 pm
Gordman wrote
I knew this would happen, so I´m out. I hope for you that the Switch won´t be a flop. Many people already have the Wii U, maybe the buyrate would have been better for it.

It will release on different consoles. Right now Wii U may be too complicated because their compilers are not up to date and requires altering lots of game code.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:13 pm
Bock wrote
Gordman wrote

It will release on different consoles. Right now Wii U may be too complicated because their compilers are not up to date and requires altering lots of game code.

Oh, understand. I would be still out, because I don´t support Sony (and Microsoft). If the game is successful enough, it is probably worth it to release a Wii U port some time later.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:07 pm
It is great news that the game is coming out on Switch (among other consoles and PC).

There is a small amount of irony that Bock is releasing a Wonder Boy on Ni****do ^_^

Come on Gordman, you'll find a way to play it. Don't you have a PC?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:05 pm
I was talking with my wife today about buying a switch on release date after she tried to convince me with the sonic mania trailer.
And now I see this.
"Honey, we are going to buy a switch on day one" :)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 pm
Are you serious guys? are you going to buy that crappy and expensive system? just let Ni****do core fans to buy the game (thank god the game is not an exclusive).
I can see in the future a bad paid online plus just a handful of third party titles besides the expensive games, I hope sega is not going to support that system anymore. Just think this way if that system is another failure then Ni****do would not release more systems (even if they have amounts of money) leaving a commercial hole that might be occupied by Sega's home consoles comeback!!!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm
FeRcHuLeS wrote
Just think this way if that system is another failure then Ni****do would not release more systems (even if they have amounts of money)

To be honest, this is something I fear myself for them. Of course, Sega and Big N were enemies in the 80s and 90s, but most of us loved their systems anyway. Since Sega gave up, the N´ guys are the only ones I supported so far, with the exception of the legendary Playstation 2.

I don´t like the PS3, PS4, or anything of that crap that Microsoft has released with it´s bad controllers of 1000 buttons.

By the way, Big N has lost millions of money due to the Wii U fiasco. Even Mr. Miyamoto forgoes a lot of his salary since. If they fail again, I see a dark future for the video gaming industry with loads of heavily brutal games released; there are too much of them already.

Logbomber wrote
Come on Gordman, you'll find a way to play it. Don't you have a PC?

Of course I have one, but it´s a pretty cheap PC that is made just for surfing through the web. If Bock can tell us the requirements to play the game on PC (if that is already cast in stone) , I probably try to buy some stuff for my one to play the game then^^
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:16 am
Hey @Gordman don't be blind and read:
Since 2006 that company systems are mean (just check their systems specs including the upcoming one) and selfish because whoever willing to buy those systems is condemned to practically play their ips only and most of them are oriented to kids, Do you like sports, fighting, racing games and many more genres? forget about them.

There are actually brutal games for Ni****do latest systems, no need to be dramatic, if they hyphotetically would give up to release consoles they wouldn't have to extinguish just do the same as SEGA.... to become a third party company.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 am
Please, this is not a place for random arguing about systems (and discussing business / scope we frankly don't know anything about.). The internet is full of that crap already.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:42 am
I'm excited about being able to play this "on the go" on the switch :)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:48 pm
Sorry, Bock, I wasn´t going to go too off topic on here. When I get a chance to play The Dragon´s Trap, I take the chance for sure.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:35 am
Will the exact same music be played in the areas which uses the same music in the original game? I think it would be cool if different versions of the same tune were used throughout the game. So for example when you go under water you hear a more "watery" version of "Side-Crawler's Dance" than when you're above water. And you hear different versions of the dungeon music in each dungeon etc.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:23 am
Tommy: We have different tracks for every dungeon and every boss!
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 pm
Bock wrote

That's awesome! Really glad to hear that!
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:13 pm
Bock wrote

I just watched the video diary entry about how the music is made, and I must say I have nothing but respect for the amount of work and attention to detail you guys put into this game!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:44 pm
Do we have people from Brasil reading here? Looking for some help there!
Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 pm
Bock wrote

Well, I'm from Brasil; what could I help you with?
Just amazing
Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:51 am
Wow, just finished watching the YouTube preview. This game really captures the soul of the Sega Master System and re-incarnates it into the PS4 world. Amazing job and hope to see more SMS games re-incarnated with the same love.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm
Bock wrote

I'm from Brazil too.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:48 am
Bock wrote

Yes, I am

"Ajudarei no que precisar" :)
Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:49 am
Bock wrote

Yes, I'm from Brazil too. Anything I can help?
Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:08 pm
Bock wrote
Gordman wrote

sad news for wiiu, i offer you a coffee in paris, if you try to port it :)
about the switch, i won't get it as i'm quite disapointed by the fate of the wiiu.
OMFG!
Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm
Omar just dropped this video

FUCKING AMAZING~!~!~!~!!!

I AM ABSOLUTELY BESIDE MYSELF!!

THERE COULD NOT BE A BETTER PERSON MAKING THIS GAME

I AM DREAMING?!
Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:44 pm
This is a nice idea!

The remake of first Monkey Island also has this feature :)
Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:40 pm
Wow, being able to switch between versions like that looks amazing. =O

An option for activating FM sound when in 8 bit mode would make it perfect.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:16 pm
it's a Nindendo Switch only feature :p
Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:50 am
vbt wrote

where do they say that, exactly?
Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:39 pm
LuckySword wrote
vbt wrote

where do they say that, exactly?

Nowhere because it's a joke.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 pm
Bock wrote
About the cards (they are business cards), I'm sure I can hold on a pile to share at some point if you want them :)

I´m still after those business cards, I love them. Omar, if you have some spare time to ship them to me, I would be very thankful. I pay the shipping as well, of course =D

About the latest Video that has been posted in this thread: Like Niloct said, the Monkey Island remake has that feature as well and it is pretty awesome. The people will love that game, even the ones that never heard of it before.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!