Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - how do i convert nes music to sms music with mod2psg2

Reply to topic
how do i convert nes music to sms music with mod2psg2
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:44 am
do you know how to convert nes music to sega master system music with mod2psg2?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:18 am
You can't. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:18 pm
You might saw this In a response I did a while ago. But there is no exisiting way to automatically do that, for Megaman 2, cazonato01 is manually converting musics from scratch, using Mod2PSG2.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:39 pm
That cannot be automatically done, as others have said.

1. The SN76489 only has support for 50% pulses; many NES games use 12.5%, 25% and 75% pulses too
2. The SN76489 does not have a triangle channel, so it would be mapped to Channel 3, which is a square channel
3. The SN76489's noise channel does not have the 16 frequencies the 2A03 has. Also, the 2A03 has another mode, which is a lot different from the SN76489's alternative mode
4. The SN76489 does not have a DPCM channel
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:22 pm
You probably could import NES games MIDI files (many are available on the internet) into MOD2PSG, then convert it for the SMS.

I didn't try it, but I guess the difficult part would be the noise channel (for the drums)...
Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:50 pm
It's all possible if You know some black magic.. Check out what this guy did:
http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1834
Surely, 2A03 with an added wave channel (N163 expansion chip does that - in this case only 1 extra channel is used) is almost the same as GB.
Now back to Your idea: You could always write some funny routine to deal with the NES' tri channel, to disregard DPCM, and to use one of the 3 frequencies of the SN76489 noise channel in 'normal' mode, in relation to the source signal of the NES noise channel. Surely, funky stuff like pitch raising/lowering etc wouldn't be possible. If You know some scripting language i'd say give it a try =P
Personally i would suggest using only the 'normal' noise mode with the 3 frequencies.

Edit:
Alternatively: Ask (annoy *devilish grin*) Delek to add import functions to Deflemask ;) We'd all be very happy.
(You could import a NES tune, change the system to SMS, and tweak it so that it's fine)

But, if You are going to ask him things, then please ask him to add YM2413 first. This is definitely more important, and easier to implement ;) (since he already has other FM-utilizing systems in Deflemask, and SMS' YM2413 is less complex than for example YM2612 (Mega Drive/Genesis))
Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:40 am
Comparing NES->SMS music conversion to NES->GB music conversion isn't really fair, because the SN76489 is a really basic sound chip that lacks many of the features of the 2A03. The GB's pAPU on the other hand has pretty much all the audio features of the 2A03 (the DPCM would probably be the trickiest part to handle, but it might be doable, at least if you can dedicate 100% of the CPU time to audio playback).

If you tried to do an automated conversion of an NSF to something playable on the SMS you would probably end up with something that sounded pretty bad, and very different from the original. A manual cover could end up sounding pretty decent, but would still sound different from the original.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:11 am
Klangfarbe wrote
It's all possible if You know some black magic.. Check out what this guy did:
[...]
Surely, 2A03 with an added wave channel (N163 expansion chip does that - in this case only 1 extra channel is used) is almost the same as GB.

Hello, I am the person who made that script.

It is now possible to use rainwarrior's NSF importer, and then copy & paste the pattern data to my SnevenTracker (look it up at my Github), assuming you already know the differences in expressive power between the 2A03 and the SN76489.

You can also parse a VGM directly and then convert NES register writes to PSG writes; it can be done automatically, but necessarily a lot of data will be lost because the SN76489 is pretty much the most primitive you could get from a chiptune sound chip. The lack of DPCM is not important, but many early NES soundtracks depended on the 2A03 to trigger notes of fixed duration or create fade-out volume envelopes, and any effort to translate these to SN76489 is as good as recreating the song from scratch.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:49 am
Cannot wait for SN76489 puritans ;)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!