SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear to Master System hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:52 pm
RetroRGB wrote
Revo, can you explain what you mean about the save issues? I only tested it for a few minutes, but it seemed to work fine.

On a "repro" cart without RAM, it won't let you get into the game. On an Everdrive, the SRAM emulation lets it work.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:45 pm
I will try to run the game with a donor like Monopoly or Penguin Land to see if it's working like that.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57 am
I have been testing the Defenders of Oasis conversion in my console and there seems to be some palette issues which give wrong colors in several places, for example in the entrance screen when you are leaving the castle or in the castle itself if you go back to it from the entrace or when you rescue the princess from the ruffians (in all these cases, sometimes you get the right colors and sometimes you don't). The intro also suffers from similar palette issues (it's almost like you are playing a ZX Spectrum game).

Didn't notice this conversion was already done since so long ago. It's a good game and suits well the conversion target since RPGs are scarce in the Master System library.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:18 pm
So I finally tried Defenders of Oasis on real hardware (with a Monopoly as a donor) and I can see the bugs Wesker is talking about.

The best is probably to re-do the conversion :/

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:10 am
In Defenders of Oasis: starting a new game, it seems to automatically choose the first empty slot (which kind of sucks for people like me who play RPGs and often choose save slots randomly just to be different :D ), and it looks like the game constantly auto-saves.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:18 am
Provided it makes sense to play with no saving, it ought to be easy to patch out that functionality.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:31 pm
The page http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/GameGearToMasterSystem shows this text:

Most Game Gear games are available as Master System games so those versions are the best to play on a TV. You can mod your Game Gear for TV out to play all the GG-exclusive ones, but a better solution is to hack a Game Gear rom to work on a SMS or Genesis via a rom cart. It's hard to do, but the end result is much better.

I disagree with the last statement and I think it is rather misleading. Playing with a hacked Game Gear TV mod is arguably better since you get the correct color palette (however it's not easy to set up).
So the hack are a convenience, and they are good, but we should point us how the hacks are losing on colors.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:08 pm
Good point. How's this:

Many Game Gear games are available as Master System games, so those versions are the best to play on a TV. You can mod your Game Gear for TV out to play all the GG-exclusive ones, but it's not easy and the games will only fill a portion of the screen, due to the Game Gear's 160x144 resolution. Another solution is to hack a Game Gear rom to work on a SMS or Genesis via a rom cart. There are sometimes disadvantages, such as palette issues, screen artifacts, or glitches, but if you already own a rom cart (or can flash your own cartridges), it's an excellent way to experience those games on a big screen.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:39 pm
Anyone working on other Games still?
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:27 am
I wonder why some games that has Start on Button 2 and Down Arrow on Pad 2

A proper SMS Game has Start/1 Button and Pause on the Pause on the Power Base
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:36 am
It's because the people making those hacks don't have the technical ability to make it work that way.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:39 pm
Ok, Just asking..thanks for the answer

What do you guy use to convert Game Gear Game to Master System?

What program, Software you guys use, I might end up learning fast or slow
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:54 pm
You need to learn Z80 assembly code, learn about the differences between SMS and GG hardware, and get good at understanding disassembly and patching code. It's not a beginner project.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:01 pm
Well it always the 1st time for someone, With me I need someone to show me..I can't go on when people type it, I understand by looking and learning
Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:23 pm
KnightWarrior wrote

Meka (for its debugging features) + wla-z80 (to modify the ROM) ;)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 pm
Just wanted to say thanks to the guys making these patches. I somehow missed this thread until today so thanks for the thread bump too!

I can't tell you how excited I am to finally play GG Shinobi on the TV on the SMS. It always baffled me why Sega never ported the 2 GG Shinobi games to the Master System... They're so much better than Cyber Shinobi!

Also, Galaga 2 (89, 90, 91!) is my favourite shooter of all time so it will be great ot play that on the SMS too.

On pay day I am going to order a Master Everdrive just for these games and I can't wait!

Once again, thank you. :)
Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:41 am
vingazole wrote
KnightWarrior wrote

Meka (for its debugging features) + wla-z80 (to modify the ROM) ;)

I need Video & Pics of how to do it, I can't just go by people typing
Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 am
Knightwarrior, we understand that; it's just that the intersection of people who do GG->SMS hacking and the people who make tutorial videos is likely exceedingly small.

Maybe the next time somebody decides to do some hacking on the GG they'll video capture their work, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:44 am
You'd need an account that lets you upload long videos...
Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:53 am
On YouTube

Ms Pac-Man & Fatal Fury Special I try
Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:10 pm
I tried 5 Conversion on my Wii..Great Job..Now I understand why you guys maps the Start on Down Arrow on Pad 2

on Gunstar Heroes It crashed ever time I pressed the pause key -- Crashed on Stage 3

Mega Man - Colors are off in some stages, But over all good job..Should of Mapped the Start on Button 1 and the Sub Screen on Button 1 on Pad 2

Bust a Move - Looks like a true SMS game to me...

Super Return of the Jedi - Good job on it, Again, Could have Mapped to start the game on Button 1 and to Pause on Pad 2 on Button 1

Battletoads - Nice conversion, I wish they made a proper SMS Game..

Overall, Nice Job who done the conversions..Not perfect but great to see people doing this..Hope more will be release for the system

I have time on my hands so I want to take a crack at it, I might suprise some people
Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:01 pm
This thread is sad since you're porting games losing stereo sound and colour palette, Can't you make both game gear and master system patches instead of porting only? since moding gamegear is so difficult or our game gears are broken. ¡¡¡please patches for game gear then we can use emulators!!!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:14 am
FeRcHuLeS wrote
This thread is sad since you're porting games losing stereo sound and colour palette, Can't you make both game gear and master system patches instead of porting only? since moding gamegear is so difficult or our game gears are broken. ¡¡¡please patches for game gear then we can use emulators!!!

The losses in the conversions are logical since they are intended to be played on a Master System after all.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 pm
I got a master system converter recently and had 3 copies of after burner laying around..

GG Aleste II: Finally beat this today with 1791470 points and four lives left!
Awesome conversion and game and i prefer the title hack to, some minor things i noticed was
*Says in the manual that there is suppose to be a game demo when you leave the title screen on, that doesn't happen, title just loops.

*Options (speed and difficulty) doesn't seem to change anything? didn't try sound.

*This didn't bother me at all but the entire screen doesn't warp when dropping bombs.

Bust-a-move: Perfect!

Slider: This would be great, but you keep seeing the opposite side of the screen towards where you going, so you keep going towards something that's constantly morphing into something else, very frustrating, is it possible to put black borders there?

I hope we see some updates soon, so many conversions that are almost done.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:03 am
FeRcHuLeS wrote

Game Gear has a larger color palette than the SMS (and it's even larger than the Genesis, though I don't think that would matter for SMS games), so either way, color loss is simply unavoidable.
I'm guessing stereo is also not physically possible on SMS?
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:26 pm
Wild Snake WIP v0.1

Spectrum Holobyte logo, Bullet-Proof Software logo and title screen are cut to limit garbage screen.

Start is configure on down player 2.

Pause button make freeze the game (forever).

Don't know if all the colors are converted, didn't play the game a lot yet.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:31 pm
Would be nice to have those conversions polished a little more.
- be able to start the game (and skip demo) with button 1/2
- fix the logos
etc.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:17 pm
I believe it's not easy for him to reassign the start button through hex edit or so he said once.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:24 pm
I understand. I realize it's not easy. But I think it's a backfiring habit to just make unfinished conversions, because ultimately people don't look behind and tend to never finish them. So although we've got lots of conversions and it's nice, perhaps it'd be a step nicer to have them more polished. Also once you learn the tricks to polish one it'd probably be easier to polish the others :) just a suggestion really, it's not my work here and I appreciate Revo's effort.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm
I didn't see the code but I guess he's replacing the I/O port he reads from, but still test the same bit, so GG Start becomes SMS DOWN on second Pad. If the Start doesn't do anything else than start the game, I guess with a little bit more effort he can switch that to button 1...
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Revo usually does the same input to his conversions no matter which game it is and how the buttons are used. I believe it's because he relies on hex edit to do the conversions and it's not that easy to figure button remapping that way.

I just tested this and the partially blankened logos are odd. I understand it is done to remove the garbage which can be seen below in extended resolution but honestly I would prefer keeping that instead of blankening logos (or figure out a way to blank only the garbage and not part of the logos).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:14 pm
Yes, hex editing is not going to get you very polished results. Maybe we need to spend the time to show how to do it better...
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:03 pm
Impression of déjà-vu.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:41 pm
We could choose a simple game and try to do things very well and documents the process.
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:17 pm
It would be great! One game is not enough to learn everything but it would be a start.

This is the most important for GG conversions:

-re-map the Start button (easy on down controller 2, probably not really difficult on other button)
-convert the palette (seems hard for some game, especially RPG)
-remove garbage screen (must be hard in most games)
-move life bar, score... (can't use the same method for all games apparently)
-use the LEFT COLUMN BLANK function (easy but sometime tricky)
-delete GG ports (easy)
-valid check-sum (easy)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:01 am
Let's take Wild Snake as our victim then. It should be easy, there's no scrolling (?) but lots to clean up.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:06 am
I never did this, but I'm trying already ;)

mmm... it's ANDing with $80, as expected. It should AND with $10 to map start to button 1, but then it's ORing this with the previously read value. I guess we should replace the whole block from reading twice from I/O port to read once only and build the final value...
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 am
Wild Snake is probably a bad example as there is no fading color between two palette (99% of GG games have fading color).
Button 1 and 2 are not used so it's make the re-mapping of the Start button more easy and there is no use to configure the pause button in-game.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:17 pm
from your WIP v0.1, at $012E change with E6 10 07 07 07
and $10
rlca
rlca
rlca

this way the 1st button gets mapped to START.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:41 pm
Thank you sverx.

I'm going to check it out and see if I can restore the partially blakened logos. It doesn't matter if it has to be with the garbage which is below.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:12 pm
Thanks sverx. I hope to learn all the re-mapping Start button stuff this year, then I will be able to update lot of conversion.

@Wesker: For this game I didn't adapt the conversion palette code of Vingazole because I failed and I'm pretty rusty with that. Like there is no fading between 2 palettes, I converted color manually one by one.

There is 5 palettes: Sega logo, Spectrum Holobyte logo, Bullet-Proof Software logo, title screen and in-game.

In Meka, Memory Editor, PAL. You can see the hexa value of colors. All palette work the same way (except in-game), 16 colors and then I put 16 black, if you put two times the 16 first color then you have full logo and garbage screen (no need to do that for the Sega logo).

My colors conversion for the palette of Spectrum Holobyte logo, Bullet-Proof Software logo and title screen can be better, I done them quickly. The one in-game can be improve a little.

I will try do to a v0.2 this week.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:00 pm
Thanks Revo!
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:26 am
Last edited by Revo on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
WildSnake WIP v0.2b

-Start button configure on button 1 (thanks to sverx)
-Pause button crash fixed (thanks to sverx)
-palette update
-full logo but garbage screen
-title screen arrangement.

Stuff to do for a final version:
-delete garbage screen on 3 screens: Spectrum Holobyte logo, Bullet-Proof Software logo, title screen.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 am
fix the pause button crash: at $0064 overwrite 18 02 ED 45 C1 0F 0F 0F 0F. I hope it works :)
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:49 am
Yes it does, thank you. I updated my precedent post.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:43 pm
I hope you will make tutorials for rookies to make both sms and sgg patches.
The best achievement would be making the sprites to appear outside and the backgrounds to show correctly.
Then the projectiles's sprites to appear outside and the last to remove the garbage on screen, I hope you will do tutorials and tools to make things easier. and that day I'll be making some patches.

@vingazole do you mind making GG Shinobi patch for Game Gear? since you had the sprites to appear (like Shinobi II - Silent Fury is now patchless) please :)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:56 pm
You know what would be awesome? A pass-through adapter for the Mega Drive that adds the possibility of using Game Gear palettes, so that they can be loaded normally.

With a button to switch between regular SMS/MD border (for some GG games and also future MD/SMS games that could make use for it) and Game Gear sized border.

Kickstarter please. =|
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:26 pm
Not actually possible.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:35 pm
FeRcHuLeS wrote
@vingazole do you mind making GG Shinobi patch for Game Gear? since you had the sprites to appear (like Shinobi II - Silent Fury is now patchless) please :)

This patch should let the sprites appear on the extended screen and move the lifebar to the top left corner (i can't test by myself).
GG emu patch.zip (177.99 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 pm
Maxim wrote
Not actually possible.
Aw drats. ;(

Not even doing something in the lines of the SVP?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!