Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Monster Boy (was: Flying Hamster II kickstarter)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Monster Boy (was: Flying Hamster II kickstarter)
Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:47 pm
Last edited by Bock on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Thought it would be of interesting: this French team is kickstarting a game is based on Wonder Boy / Monster World game mechanics:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/612975670/flying-hamster-ii
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:52 am
Last edited by Bock on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
What happened
- The Kickstarter didn't go very well; but half into it they dropped it and went into a publishing deal with a German company and started working on their game out of public eyes.
- They have licensed some tracks and enemy designs from Wonder Boy III.

They have announced their game today and it is called, brace yourself - Monster Boy!

The timing is interesting because I am also working on a game based on the Wonder Boy universe. Stay tuned!
Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 pm
That palm tree looks wonderful.
We need moar wonderboy games!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:20 am
Here is the announcement on the kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/612975670/flying-hamster-ii/posts/1121051

So we're thrilled to announce that this beautiful project is no more just a Monster World clone but a real new official part of the series. Once again thanks to both our publisher FDG Entertainment and Mr. Nishizawa who pushed this project in the most incredible good direction.

Monster Boy will be an all-new adventure and as we closely work together with Ryuichi Nishizawa (creator of the original Monster World) it can be considered as an official part of the series. Since the trademark is owned by SEGA we had to pick a different name

Awesome! I suppose there has always been 2 ways we could get a new entry into the series, either through the copyright or the trademark. Ideally both would have been good but I am very happy with either!

http://www.monsterboy.com/

Created in cooperation with series creator Ryuichi Nishizawa (former Westone Bit Entertainment)
Licensed from LAT Corporation

So is LAT Corporation who holds the copyright for Wonder Boy now that Westone has gone bankrupt?

The name 'Monster Boy' is great, but the sub title 'Wizard of Booze' is terrible lol. I am very sure that the word 'Booze' will not be allowed, not only does it sound silly but it is a direct reference to alcohol which causes rating problems, particularly if they try to publish on a Ni****do platform. So I predict that part of the title will change.

Overall though I am very excited about this. We have been waiting a loooooong time for something new in the Monster World universe and it is great to finally have something to look forward to.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am
Having waited more than 20 years for a new Wonder Boy game this is very exciting news! The Wonder Boy games have always been my favourite video games, ever since I was a kid, so I'm thrilled to see a new entry into the series.

I like the name "Monster Boy", but I think it would have felt like a more legit Wonder Boy game if it was actually called "Wonder Boy". I guess it's too late to change the publisher of the game now, but if Sega was the publisher instead of FDG Entertainment, the name "Wonder Boy" could have been used instead. Well, I guess I can't complain too much.

But the name "Wizard of Booze" is really strange. Booze? Seems to me it doesn't quite fit the atmosphere of the Wonder Boy/Monster World games. Although you could order beer and cocktails in Wonder Boy in Monster Land ... Come to think of it, it's a bit weird that you start out as a baby in diapers going into bars ordering alcohol. Maybe booze has a more important role in the Monster World series than what I've thought of.

I wonder how much involved Ryuichi Nishizawa really is in this project. Did he just say "okay, go ahead and make this game", or is he involved in character design, level design, story etc.?

Recently I've been playing through the fan made extended remake of Wonder Boy III again (or Dragon's Curse), which I have to say is just as good as the original Wonder Boy 3 (or perhaps even better, as it's much longer and there's much more to do). If this new Monster Boy game gets close to being anything near as good as that, I'll be happy.

And I'm also very excited to hear that Bock is working on a game based on the Wonder Boy universe. Is it possible to tell a bit more about that, or do we have to wait for more details to be revealed?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:18 am
Bock wrote
The timing is interesting because I am also working on a game based on the Wonder Boy universe. Stay tuned!

How exciting. As a kid I always wanted to make a monster-world game even creating a simple shell of a game on my vic20 based around the castle level when I was 10.

Such an underrated series.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:40 am
Anyone got news from Maxteam that was doing a monster world RPG ?
The game is supposed to be finished since two years and in the beta test process but they seem to have vanished from the Internet T___T
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:34 pm
No, they haven't vanished, they're still here: http://maxteam01.blogspot.no/

I've been waiting many years for that game as well. I played a demo of it many years ago and was really excited about the project, but the finished version has been delayed several times for many years now. According to their blog the game was finished in February/March 2013, and they just needed to properly test the game before its final release. Seems they're still testing it, as it hasn't been released yet ...
Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:40 pm
For those not following the development blog of Monster Boy ( http://www.monsterboy.com/blog/ ), there's some news:

- The game is delayed and will now be released in 2016
- After much critisism, the developers have changed the title of the game from "Monster Boy and the Wizard of Booze" to "Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom"
- Yuzo Koshiro, known for Ys, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi ... will be making music for the game
Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:55 pm
The new subtitle for the game is definitely an improvement. Above anything, I want to see this game succeed, so having a good promote-able title is important.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!