Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Master System D-Pad replacement Parts

Reply to topic
Master System D-Pad replacement Parts
Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:27 pm
hi, I have 2 Mastersytem Pads where the D-pad as Broken.
I found a lot of parts for Ni****do Playstation and Xbox
but nothing for Sega...
could any one here tell me where i could get new D-Pads?
i don't need original onesD
Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 am
I'm not aware of any being sold, but I have looked into replacing some myself. I was thinking about modelling the part for 3D printing or possibly molding purposes, but there are actually multiple versions of the controller/d-pad, and I don't think a one size fits all part could be produced. There is a need though, and I think there is one particular type that commonly breaks from what I've seen.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 pm
Is the D-Pad plastic broken or the rubber piece? If it's the rubber you can probably retrofit something from a genesis or NES controller.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 pm
Also, if you live in the US I may have a couple of broken ones on hand that have cut plugs (not sure why, they were like that when I got them) that I could send to you for the cost of shipping.

But, in all honesty, I'm a big fan of either modding a 6-button genesis controller OR trying to locate one of those "honeybee" competition pro controllers. They don't crop up very often on ebay, but they're really nice and have turbo switches.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 pm
I have a broken D-pad (edges broken off) on pad I bought later, the ones that came with MS I've worn out otherwise.
The one where D-pad broke has longer cord than the originals.

Just wondering if this is the type that breaks more often.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:57 pm
Hate to resurrect a dead thread, but did anyone ever do this? I've got a couple SMS pads without the hard D-pad piece (the silicone bits with the conductive pads still are intact).
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:54 am
It's in italian...Maybe it can be useful :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVDlfbZ2nc
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:29 am
That's interesting, but only useful if you have the D-pad piece... my controllers don't have it at all (it must have gotten lost). I've modded 6 button pads to work in the SMS instead (wired Start and B together, A and C together, and desoldered the Select wire and tied it high on the PCB via a resistor). To be honest, I like my controllers better than the original pads, because of games like Alex Kidd and Zillion where the button configuration was weird. Now I can play them with A and B and have a flipped button configuration.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 pm
If anyone needs replacement rubber conductive pads for the D-pad, the SMS and NES ones are an exact match, right down to the mounting holes. Just in case no-one is selling Master System ones, that is.

Unfortunately the rubber pads for buttons 1 and 2 are unique to that controller though (unless the Mark III used the same pads too), so if they wear out there's really nothing else that can fit in its place without modification. Not even Mega Drive pads fit in there - anything from the big N or Sony also fails to fit as the Control Pad's buttons are spread further apart than normal (the button pads are also separate items rather than being moulded as one piece, compared to the NES A/B pads for example).
Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:40 pm
I bought this one a few weeks ago. I haven't had time to test it, but they look fine:

https://mortoffgames.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=203
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:30 pm
I think it would be much more exciting to see a replacement for the D-pad itself... or even an adaptor for a + shaped piece, so we can use existing high quality parts for unmentionable rival systems. I wonder how much that would cost to 3D print?
Sega Master System Replacement D-Pad
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:40 pm
Maxim wrote
I think it would be much more exciting to see a replacement for the D-pad itself... or even an adaptor for a + shaped piece, so we can use existing high quality parts for unmentionable rival systems. I wonder how much that would cost to 3D print?

the 3D model for the D-Pad exists here :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2217286
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:44 pm
Attaching for historical purposes. It's not what I meant - the patented D-pad shape used by Ni****do is much more robust and I was proposing a fixed mask to allow inserting such a part in place of the original.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!