Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star: Generation 1 English Translation Released!

Reply to topic
Phantasy Star: Generation 1 English Translation Released!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 pm
Video:

More info: http://www.pscave.com/psg1/download/
Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 pm
Hell, I had no idea someone was working on that, great news!
Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 am
Excellent news!! :)
I was starting a conversion for Master System with PS2 graphics (using HiSMS emulator) but I guess it's not necessary anymore. :)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm
Awesome. It will be interesting to finally play through this version and see how it compares to the original. The one thing I wish they would have added to the PS2 version was a button to switch between the original/remake that games like Monkey Island SE and Halo Anniversary had, but obviously this was put out way before anyone thought of that idea:)
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:21 am
Wow, after working on our re-translation patch for the original version, watching someone else re-interpret the dialog again in her own way is a weird feeling. I spent a really long time getting into the universe and the characters to get the tone right, watching this video I keep finding myself thinking "Alis wouldn't say that" even though she isn't my character at all!
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:49 pm
It was cool to stop by the board after a long time and see this post.

I think it looks like a great effort from a technical standpoint. The translation itself looks OK, but I think it could use some editing for naturalness. It reminds me of the Japanglishy early drafts I did of the original game. To be fair, the writing in the original isn't really all that great, but still, I think a little more effort could have been put into making the dialog sound better in English.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 am
Does Phantasy Star Generation 1 have the same script as the SMS original?
Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:35 pm
Maxim wrote
Does Phantasy Star Generation 1 have the same script as the SMS original?

From what I've played of it, it's near verbatim in some spots. For example, in the YouTube clip, one of the lines spoken by one of the guards was, "Wanna die? Go out then!". That seems pretty close to the original line 死にたくなかったら ここにいるんだ, which would be "You should stay here if you don't want to die". My own translation was "Want to stay alive? Then stay here!". In retrospect, I think that was probably too literal, and makes the guard sound like he's just being a jerk. Thinking about it now, I think the line would be more accurately captured as "You'd better stay here if you want to stay alive," which also flows a lot better IMO.

There also seems to be a lot of dialog that differs from the original. A lot of lines came up in the video that I hadn't seen before.

Localizing Japanese is a challenge, for sure. Japanese uses a lot of "difficult" vocabulary and grammar in places where English doesn't, and vice versa, so without care, it's easy to end up with dialog that sounds either overly wordy, or too childish, or even both at the same time. I saw some examples of this in the YouTube clip, which makes me think the translation needs a little more polish.

I don't want this to turn into a tl;dr, so I'll just leave it at that for now. But anyway, I think it'd be cool to see the group put a little more work into smoothing out their translation a bit.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 pm
Haven't really tried it, but it looks good for what they were probably able to do.
Could use more polish whenever PS2 hacking/emulation gets more developed, though (such as expanding the Y/N prompts). But I'm sure that's a while away. :)
Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm
wow. can't wait to try this.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!