Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Everdrive on a Japanese SMS console

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:01 am
Other cart slot adaptors are available. Another option is to patch games to not break.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm
phoenixdownita wrote
You have a few options

I really appreciate the response. It seems the update file for my Master Everdrive works, so I'm all set.

Does anyone happen to have a list of games that don't work? The only ones I care about are FM Sound games and 3D games, since I can play all the rest on my Genesis. If not, I'll try and test as many as I can today and post my results.

Also (and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question), is ApolloBoy's adapter that really tall thing in the picture, or the small adapter under it?
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:38 pm
Maxim wrote
Other cart slot adaptors are available. Another option is to patch games to not break.

Could you please post a link to the other card slot adapters, that are known to work with the Master Everdrive?

Also, is there an existing post that talks about patching?

Once again, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:42 pm
robneal81 wrote
phoenixdownita wrote
You have a few options

I really appreciate the response. It seems the update file for my Master Everdrive works, so I'm all set.

Does anyone happen to have a list of games that don't work? The only ones I care about are FM Sound games and 3D games, since I can play all the rest on my Genesis. If not, I'll try and test as many as I can today and post my results.

Also (and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question), is ApolloBoy's adapter that really tall thing in the picture, or the small adapter under it?

Sorry, my bad ApolloBoy adapter is to play US games on a Jap SMS and not the other way around [and it is the tiny one under the tall one [which is the one you would need, the Tototek adapter, he was just proving that it worked so well that you can pile adapter on adapter]. I will amend my post and delete that reference.

Regarding non working games Rastan comes to mind, but there are others, once I did a full swing on the SMS goodset and found quite a few [say 10%], on top of that there are also 6 or 7 that have nothing to do with running from Exp port they are simply not compatible with the FM chip and lock or require the Euro VDP2 so no luck for those.
As I said I think that of the 300+ games there are around 30 or so that don;t like being run from the Exp slot.

Finally the surgery on the Jap SMS Exp13 <-> Cartridge B10 is actually quite easy as there's a place in the SMS PCB right around where the Card reader is, towards the front, where the 2 /CE lines for Exp and Cartridge are running side by side [there are actually 3 if you count the Card reader /CE too], so it is really just a matter of cutting the Exp trace, and then solder the Cartridge trace with the Exp trace, there even is a very convenient via right there, it's literally a 5 min solder job with 1 single wire.

Also Krikzz never "blessed" OSv6 for usage and never officially released it, he said it would require more testing but then he never got around it, anyway thanks to Bock there's another copy floating around that can be used [you can read more here http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?43494-Master-ED-on-Jap-SMS-a...
Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:15 pm
robneal81 wrote
phoenixdownita wrote
You have a few options

Have you tried the OSv7?
I messaged you at http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1002.msg11988#msg11988
Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 pm
Bumping this with a few questions...

I also got a Master Everdrive to play on a Japanese system and it only starting working after the operatingsystem6 update. Thanks.

I was also wondering the same question as asked above...if some of the "10% that don't work" were FM sound games.

Also, if updating the everdrive to the operatingsystem6 for Japan system play, can it still play properly in a USA Master System or do you need to change the OS back?

Finally, what were the benefits of the os7 that was referenced in the last post?

Thanks
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 pm
munnlete wrote
Also, if updating the everdrive to the operatingsystem6 for Japan system play, can it still play properly in a USA Master System or do you need to change the OS back?

No problem.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:58 pm
munnlete wrote
Bumping this with a few questions...

Finally, what were the benefits of the os7 that was referenced in the last post?

Thanks

OSv7 is FAT32 only, after update you need to reformat your SD from FAT16 to FAT32.
FAT32 -> can use bigger SD (as the small ones are harder to find these days)

Better file manager (bottom 2 lines to show complete name). The file manager core has been unified with the rest of the ED line (TurboED, MasterED, N8 ....).

Not sure how much of the mappers have been rewritten, OSv7 is supposed to be working fine on Jap SMS as well.

If you update to OSv7 and ever need to go back you'll need to use the ReserveOS in the MasterED which for now though requires a FAT16 SD, so pick your poison ....
Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:46 pm
phoenixdownita wrote
I did it. I severed /CE from pin 13 Exp and soldered it to B10 and I am pleased to announce that it works.

Rastan works, OutRun works .... beautiful.

So now with Bock GenderAdapter AND 1 trace cut (Exp pin 13) and 1 wire (to route B10 to Exp pin 13) the JAP SMS can play some more US/EUR games than from Exp GenderAdapter alone.

There's still some incompat like Walter Payton Football (I just get a purple screen and a beep) but I suspect that it has to do with JAP incompat (maybe messed up detection routine or something, I don't know).

Given that there's no real peripherals for Exp slot I don't feel bad at all having my JAP SMS with the Exp and Cart mapped to be one and the same as I plan to use one at a time anyway, with the introduction of a simple 3 way switch it is possible to have the JAP SMS in orig mode (Cart separated from Exp) or mixed (Cart and Exp are the same) but I am not interested in that at this time.

Switch notwithstanding what I did is actually quite simple as the traces for the 3 /CE (Cart/Card/Exp) travel close to each other on the top of the PCB and there are convenient vias where to solder and close to where to cut the Exp pin 13 trace and wire instead Cart B10. I only needed 2 inches of wire or less.

Anyway now I think I am happy, I can use my JAP SMS with more US/EUR games through the GenderAdapter.

So, I'm a bit of a dunce and need my hand held. Pin 13 on the expansion port is the middle one (25 pins in total), so that was easy to identify, does it matter if it's the top side or the bottom side?

So I solder a wire from that to B10 on the cartridge slot, which is marked as the side closest to the front and 10 pins from the left. (or right if looking from underneath. Easiest place would be the solder directly under the pin right?

And I also have to cut the trace from exp pin 13, again top side or bottom side?

EDIT: Wait a minute, odds are on top by the looks of it, so I think I know what I'm doing now.
P3011496.JPG (654.34 KB)
P3011496.JPG

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:16 am
If anyone else had trouble with what to do to resolve this, here are some pictures of what I did. I modified the method slightly so that it doesn't involve cutting any traces on the master system mobo.
P5100047.JPG (714.56 KB)
desolder and bend pin 13 on the gender adaptor (7th counting from the top,back,right of the console)
P5100047.JPG
P5100048.JPG (640.6 KB)
solder some wire to the patch beneath this modified pin
P5100048.JPG
P5100049.JPG (671.17 KB)
underneath, connect the other end of the wire to B10 of the cartridge slot (10th pin from front right side when looking underneath
P5100049.JPG
P5100050.JPG (664.41 KB)
close up of B10
P5100050.JPG
P5100051.JPG (692.38 KB)
See, it works.
P5100051.JPG

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:34 am
IMO really not smart to have it tethered to the Gender Adapter like that. I'd highly suggest adding a quick disconnect of some kind in between the wire so that you can totally remove the Gender Adapter without having to desolder or cut anything.
Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:45 am
Good point, but I don't plan on removing the gender adaptor any time soon. I've cut a hole into the plastic cover so that only the catridge slot is exposed and it's a (very) snug fit. In order to remove the gender adaptor I'd have to unscrew the whole system apart anyway. I was more comfortable with this than cutting traces into the system board.
Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:34 pm
doc eggfan, just a small suggestion: twist the ends of the wires before soldering, this prevents stray wire strands from shorting out on things nearby. :)
best regards,
- dink
Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:52 pm
Thanks, yeah I went back and redid the B10 connection after I took that photo. I usually do twist the wires, but then I have trouble during the wetting stage - I blame this lead free solder I'm using (cos a poor workman blames his tools).
Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 am
doc eggfan wrote
I blame this lead free solder I'm using (cos a poor workman blames his tools).

If you mix lead-free solder with leaded solder it'll tend to do that actually.
Master System Everdrive not working on JPN console
Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:46 am
I've got a Japanese Master System that seems to work fine (it boots to the default mode screen, with the Space Harrier theme in FM without a cartridge inserted, I have no Japanese cartridges for testing).

However, when I insert the Master Everdrive into the unit with a Tototek US to Japan adapter, I just get a blank screen. I know the Everdrive and inserted SD card works because I use them on a US system which I unfortunately sold thinking that my Japan system would work as a superior replacement. :-(

I also bought a SECOND Everdrive thinking my first had failed, but the results are exactly the same. Black screen of death -- no text whatsoever; mashing the buttons and such does not cause anything to be displayed.

I'm also positive the Tototek adapter is fine, because again, I bought a second one and there is no difference.

There was another thread on SMS Power about the MARK III doing the same thing, coming up with a black screen (apparently a capacitor needed replacing to get it to work). I had assumed that the Japanese Master System was basically a cosmetic repackaging of the Mark III, but others have told me that is quite different, so I don't know if the problem is identical.

The version number for the OS is 8. I don't know of downgrading would be helpful, and I don't know how to do it.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I'm stuck in Japan here with all this hardware that's useless :-(

Carl
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:02 am
The Mark III issue is because there's no BIOS, obviously there is one on the Japanese SMS. I'd suspect your adaptor - can you test it with a regular cartridge?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:41 am
Maxim: is the Japanese BIOS checking checksum or not?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:12 pm
The problem is hitting the vdp too early right? In which case it could be fixed with an os update?

If so should bring it up on Everdrive forum.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:48 pm
if the problem is absolutely only the VDP initialization, we might hack some delay into the everdrive ROM...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:38 pm
The Japanese BIOS does not check the checksum, but I think it does delay for startup.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:18 am
I have a japanese SMS with a everdrive. I thought the J-SMS never had built in games. I am pretty sure mine doesn't, I should just double check in case for some crazy reason I've never turned on my SMS without a game in.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:56 pm
I had the same problem,
use a 2GB or lower SD card
and put OS8 fw on Everdrive
it should work
well it did for me

carljr17 wrote
I've got a Japanese Master System that seems to work fine (it boots to the default mode screen, with the Space Harrier theme in FM without a cartridge inserted, I have no Japanese cartridges for testing).

However, when I insert the Master Everdrive into the unit with a Tototek US to Japan adapter, I just get a blank screen. I know the Everdrive and inserted SD card works because I use them on a US system which I unfortunately sold thinking that my Japan system would work as a superior replacement. :-(

I also bought a SECOND Everdrive thinking my first had failed, but the results are exactly the same. Black screen of death -- no text whatsoever; mashing the buttons and such does not cause anything to be displayed.

I'm also positive the Tototek adapter is fine, because again, I bought a second one and there is no difference.

There was another thread on SMS Power about the MARK III doing the same thing, coming up with a black screen (apparently a capacitor needed replacing to get it to work). I had assumed that the Japanese Master System was basically a cosmetic repackaging of the Mark III, but others have told me that is quite different, so I don't know if the problem is identical.

The version number for the OS is 8. I don't know of downgrading would be helpful, and I don't know how to do it.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I'm stuck in Japan here with all this hardware that's useless :-(

Carl
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!