Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - F4 (frameskip) crashes MEKA when in full screen

Reply to topic
F4 (frameskip) crashes MEKA when in full screen
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm
When pressing F4 when MEKA is in full screen (alt+enter) after having already selected "full screen" from the menu it crashes. I am using the SMS Power! translated patch for Phantasy Star, patched with Lunar IPS, if that makes a difference. Also using Windows XP SP3 and latest version of MEKA, on a Thinkpad T41.

Sometimes the F4 crash does not happen. At first I thought it was restricted to different Hz ranges, but then it seemed to crash even on ones it did not crash on before.

It does not happen on the other blitters, including the regular "windowed full screen" mode before I've pressed alt+enter.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:23 pm
Hmm, i can't reproduce that here.
Does F2 crash the same?
Is it a new bug that appeared recently, or you always had that bug?
I don't understand what you refer to with the Phantasy Star / Lunar IPS. Did you patch Phantasy Star with a Lunar patch ?!

I'd like to note that for simple gameplay you may be better off using an emulator like Kega Fusion, since MEKA is pretty outdated when it comes to getting along nicely with newer machines/OS.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 pm
I tried it with Wonder Boy III and the problem is the same. But to answer your question, Lunar IPS is a ROM patcher.

What I do is I double-click mekaw.exe, which for me starts in the windowed mode. Then I load up the rom, and then I select "full screen" from the video menu, then I press alt+enter to get it to fill the screen, and then I press F4 and it crashes. It should be noted that if I press F3 first - even just one time - before pressing F4 no crashes occur. Also the crash effect looks just like closing the program with F10.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm
So it starts crashing about 60 Hz (at 70 Hz?)
If you press F3 many times to lower the speed down to 10 Hz, switch to full screen, can you confirm that it start crashing above 60 Hz?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:55 pm
No, it only crashes when I press F4 first. If I press F3 at all then F4 works fine. I can go up and down the scale then (from 10hz to 400). But if I press F4 before pressing F3, regardless of what Hz it starts at, it crashes.

Again, it only crashes when I've selected fullscreen mode from the video menu, then pressed alt+enter to stretch it to full screen, and then pressed F4.

Well, slight correction: if I press F4 before I've hit alt+enter and then press it again after pressing alt+enter, it does crash. So basically it crashes in that mode ("windowed full screen", alt+enter) after pressing F4, but not if I press F3 before that. And when I say "not if I press F3 before that," I mean before pressing F4 in the alt+enter mode.

In other words, I was playing Phantasy Star in full screen and to speed up the fights I was pressing F3 and F4 to frameskip. Then one time it crashed and I wondered if it was reproducible and it is, at least on my machine.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:04 pm
Bock wrote
Hmm, i can't reproduce that here.
Does F2 crash the same?

Sorry, just now see your question about F2.

Okay, I tried entering F2 into the mix. I seemed to have had it set to automatic rather than 1/1, 1/2, etc. However I get the same crash when I press F4 in alt+enter windowed fullscreen mode, but sometimes it does not work. Not sure what the problem is here. I did try the other blitters with frameskip set to 1/1 and then pressing F4 and it didn't crash. So it has to do with the combination of "windowed fullscreen" & alt+enter THEN F4.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:17 pm
Also, sigh, just to complicate things further, it does this:

If I set it to full screen mode (from video menu) then set it to F2 frameskip 1/1 (if it wasn't already set there), and then press alt+enter, do nothing, and then press alt+enter again (to get it back to smaller size) and then press F4 it crashes.

In other words, under those circumstances, it does the same crash when it is a small window. It seems to only do that after I've come back out of the alt+enter mode, though.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:58 pm
stalepie wrote
the crash effect looks just like closing the program with F10.

Do you get any notification from Windows that a crash has occurred, or does the program just exit silently?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:15 pm
Paul Baker wrote
stalepie wrote
the crash effect looks just like closing the program with F10.

Do you get any notification from Windows that a crash has occurred, or does the program just exit silently?

Just exits silently. Looks like what happens when you press F10.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 pm
Then perhaps it isn't crashing, but closing normally.

I've had MEKA do this when pressing F4 after pressing ALT - my theory is that something is causing the program to think you have pressed both at the same time. ALT+F4, of course, is a Windows keyboard shortcut to exit a program.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:02 pm
That's an interesting theory. That might be it, yes.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!