Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 5 prototypes

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
5 prototypes
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 pm
Last edited by Bock on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hello,

Not too long ago, a lucky fellow collector stumbled with his friend on a lot of more than fourty samples/prototypes from Sega of America. He offered them for sale and needless it did not took long for them to disappear under repeated zerg-rush-boss-money-attack. Luckily I was able to enter a bid and snatch half of the lot under the clear intent of dumping them. Good hearted Rupert got three. The rest is floating in ether until we can capture them back from greedyness!

Today we have 5 releases.
The first three of them were actually first released by good bloke Rupert at segacollect.com which agreed to have them up under the SMS Power! label to maximize exposure of the new files.

Blade Eagle 3-D [Proto] for the Master System, most interesting of today's lot. It is an early build of the game, with a clearly different level and different music. The title screen bears the original Japanese name "Blade Eagle".

Castle of Illusion - Starring Mickey Mouse [Demo] for the Master System, a short rolling non-interactive demo of the game, similar in form with the Super Basketball [Demo] we unveiled some time ago. This was likely used to show off unfinished games at CES back around 1989-1991.

Moonwalker (Michael Jackson's) [Proto] for the Master System, prototype version of the game.

And two more from my newly dumped stash:

Impossible Mission [Proto] for the Master System, prototype version of the game. It has an US Gold logo that was eventually removed and different legal informations. Level seems different, but then it is difficult to tell due to the pseudo-randomized nature of the game.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [Proto] for the Master System, prototype version of the game. Also bearing a giant US Gold logo and different introduction screens. The rest is unsure - playing this game successfully requires insane amount of patience and self control. Play the games and help spotting the differences between them and their final version!

As it turns out, a good proportion of the cartridges are non-final builds, so we'll have some more upcoming releases (there was a few duplicates also, I could redump the Moonwalker and Castle of Illusion prototypes from my lot of cartridge, and too many James Buster Douglas Boxing..). Thanks again to good person Rupert for releasing his prototypes. Stay tuned for more!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:48 pm
In situation picture.
IMG_8371-small.jpg (124.31 KB)
IMG_8371-small.jpg

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:02 pm
Wow, the picture shows secret stuff. I'm not sure what you actually wanted to photograph there.
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:25 pm
Good find Bock. Now you just need to find the mystical Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles proto..... :)

I remember playing Indiana Jones quite a bit and it is very hard. Pretty big sprites and nice animation for a SMS game though.
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:21 pm
Bock wrote
In situation picture.

Same DS color here, actually running ApprenticeMinusDS =D
Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 am
Martin wrote
Wow, the picture shows secret stuff. I'm not sure what you actually wanted to photograph there.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:56 am
Hmm, are we not allowed to talk about it? If you can guess what it is, Google Images will confirm it... so it's not very secret.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:27 am
I think that's not the point :)
Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:32 pm
sorry!
Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:17 am
Large bump but what was it that you weren't allowed to talk about?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:24 am
The blue box at the back is (I think) a DS devkit, and if you have one you must have signed an NDA promising not to reveal anything about it, including photos of it.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!