Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Dumping Wii VC SMS titles

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 pm
BrambleG wrote
No SMS titles, but 22 Game Gear games are available on the 3DS Virtual Console (16 in EU/US), mainly things like the Sonic games, GG Shinobi and Columns.

Well, I feel dumb forgetting that (due to the thread title).
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:42 am
Jap titles found (not all): https://www.sendspace.com/file/4r1o9z

5mWH81h.png (10.6 KB)
Attachment fairy
5mWH81h.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:57 am
OK, so they used the Mega Drive version of the Japanese Phantasy Star - I'm not sure what that has beyond the original - and there's no red cross patching in that - maybe Ni****do aren't scared of the Red Cross in Japan?
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:30 pm
Does the Japanese VC release support the FM?
Was it patched out of the MD version (since if I read, MD doesn't support the FM? At least not out of the box, I know of the unofficial PBC that does.)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:35 pm
I guess the FM chip detection would work (i.e. go to PSG mode) on a Megadrive.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 am
Hi guys I am about to extract (I hope, i do not have a 3DS but a friend of mine has!) all 3DS gamegear virtual console games and stating the 1st one it seems to be a new dump (3DS-extracted sega roms are compressed with MDF; there is a tool for this format, just drag&drop over the .exe: )!

Those are the 19bytes differences:

Those are the differences comparing the most similar rom:

Search for differences

1. C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\GGSonic1_JUE_v01_2012_08_13.GG: 262.144 bytes
2. C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Sonic The Hedgehog (World) (v1.1).gg: 262.144 bytes
Offsets: hexadec.

B80F:   55   FF
 B812:   05   0F
23472:   26   14
23476:   8D   AF
23492:   26   14
23496:   8D   AF
234B2:   26   14
234B6:   8D   AF
23586:   54   96
23588:   76   FF
235A4:   76   FF
235A8:   54   96
235C4:   54   96
235C6:   76   FF
23830:   55   FF
23831:   00   09
23850:   33   AA
23851:   00   05
23870:   11   55

19 difference(s) found.

The following games are available (multiple same-names = different regions):

If you are still interested I can provide them once extracted (just tested this single game for now).
IMG_9249.PNG (9.44 KB)
Attachment fairy
IMG_9249.PNG
IMG_9250.PNG (75.52 KB)
Attachment fairy
IMG_9250.PNG

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 pm
Yes please. The differences you see may be removal of flashing colors - on Wii, they were expressed as patch file system but maybe they baked it into the files for 3DS. Sky Base Zone has electrical flashes which they may be toning down here, for example.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:07 pm
Last edited by asper on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxim wrote
Yes please. The differences you see may be removal of flashing colors - on Wii, they were expressed as patch file system but maybe they baked it into the files for 3DS. Sky Base Zone has electrical flashes which they may be toning down here, for example.

Here it is the analysis (all was possible thanks to my friend Valery0p, a big thank to him for all the decryption process !)

Duplicate ROMs found in different region games are NOT included (checked with SHA-256) because they are just the same roms.
File names are the same you can found inside decrypted 3DS RomFS, no renaming: as you can see we have some new dumps here :)

Get them here to study while they are hot and feel free to remove the link as soon as you got them !

Please share your ROMs-difference-findings with us :)
IMG_9251.PNG (608.2 KB)
Attachment fairy
IMG_9251.PNG

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:24 pm
I think they are flash removal - notice the file names sometimes mention that. It'll take a while to document the differences, the Wii ones had comments to help me :)
Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 pm
Maxim wrote
I think they are flash removal - notice the file names sometimes mention that. It'll take a while to document the differences, the Wii ones had comments to help me :)

Preservation has no hurry, thank you for your time :)

About the good dumps, are the names and filenames "incongruencies" correct (I mean are them different game names for different regions) ?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:56 am
Maxim wrote

If you are interested here it is all the content of the sonic game (already extracted and decompressed), maybe you can find some patch script but i doubt. You will also find the same GG rom inside \romfs\system\roms.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 pm
The filename differences are due to the vagaries of Meka - which supports dual naming for games which adapt based on the region they are in - and SMS Checker, which always uses the non-Japanese name in these circumstances. Thus Puyo Puyo comes out as Puzlow Kids because that's what it shows on a US system, but on a Japanese one it is ぷよぷよ. It was then adapted to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - and they have called that "Puyo Puyo 1 U", which doesn't make a great deal of sense.

So overall, they aren't that exciting, just an insight into the filenames the devs chose to use. In some other Virtual Console places it's clear that the files were ultimately from the internet, I expect the same applies here - we have yet to find a modification that looks like it was built from source.

The full contents have some interesting stuff - what looks like code for some game extensions (e.g. high score uploads, adding in achievement type things) but I'm not sure if they are active; the comments are all in Japanese. Most of it seems to be megabytes of stuff for the wrappers around the emulator, much like the Wii VC games shipped a copy of Opera to show the manual.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:07 pm
Maxim wrote
The filename differences are due to the vagaries of Meka - which supports dual naming for games which adapt based on the region they are in - and SMS Checker, which always uses the non-Japanese name in these circumstances. Thus Puyo Puyo comes out as Puzlow Kids because that's what it shows on a US system, but on a Japanese one it is ぷよぷよ. It was then adapted to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - and they have called that "Puyo Puyo 1 U", which doesn't make a great deal of sense.

So overall, they aren't that exciting, just an insight into the filenames the devs chose to use. In some other Virtual Console places it's clear that the files were ultimately from the internet, I expect the same applies here - we have yet to find a modification that looks like it was built from source.

The full contents have some interesting stuff - what looks like code for some game extensions (e.g. high score uploads, adding in achievement type things) but I'm not sure if they are active; the comments are all in Japanese. Most of it seems to be megabytes of stuff for the wrappers around the emulator, much like the Wii VC games shipped a copy of Opera to show the manual.

Thank you for the explanation about game names.

Do you need other games full contents ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:39 am
No, I don't think it's necessary.
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm
Maxim wrote
No, I don't think it's necessary.

Another finding:
Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3DS rom: https://www.sendspace.com/file/dxosse

Inside there are some roms (mega drive and SMS) and in particular there is an official SMS bios with "fixed" suffix.
This is the SMS Checker done for the roms found inside that 3DS game and against some official bioses i found on the web:

it seems to be an unknown version !

Maybe space harrier is the same as Wii ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:37 pm
"Fixed" might again mean patched to remove flashing. The BIOS will be easy to compare because it's already disassembled.
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:50 am
Maxim wrote
"Fixed" might again mean patched to remove flashing. The BIOS will be easy to compare because it's already disassembled.

Good to know. Is some of you aware of other "multiple tiles/collections" where I can dig out roms ?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:29 am
New rom: sonic jap
Surely the same as USA and EUR (not checked).
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:22 pm
Maxim wrote

2 new GG VC roms released in the 3DS scene, Sonic Drift (jap) and Sonic 2 (jap):
We have a new dump here but it was the same as my previous USA-EUR dump :(

download

EDIT: i checked also the previous sonic jap game (see my previous post) and it comes out that it is a new dump too but it is the same previously extracted USA and EUR as supposed (see some posts back, same CRC).

download (old link is broken)

If someone (bock?Maxim?) has something to tell about those new rom/bios dumps I will be always here to listen to :)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!