Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS FM Sound Expansion Boards (available now)

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm
Maxim wrote
Little-scale has made MIDI stuff:

Thanks, I sent him an email. Not sure if he still makes that. While that is very cool, and something I'd like to have, what I'm really thinking is having the OUTPUT of in game music processed by an outside synth. Much like the Yamaha chip is doing but rather allowing one to hook up to any midi input.

AX
Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 pm
TmEE wrote
It certainly makes no sense, and all other stuff was also in listen mode all times. Only thing capable of driving the bus is the 244 and it most definitely sat in 3state all times.

http://www.tmeeco.eu/Fileden/YM2413SCHEM.jpg

I know your schematic has WE grounded, but do you think there's any chance there was a bad connection? If you have CE=L, WE=H then the YM2413 drives the data bus as part of test mode. That's the only case I can think of where the YM2413 could interfere with the system.
Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 am
It had really solid connection to GND, with a large solder mountain or it would not me mechanically stable. The !WE and GND pins basically held the chip in place.
Wonderboy III
Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:44 pm
I got my v2.0 board a couple weeks ago and installed it immediately. Some of the games are just amazing, such as R-Type.

I recently purchased Wonderboy III however, and It looks like the region switch isn't working.

My master system is the US NTSC motherboard listed as Original NTSC SMS (1986) on the installation page.

sega-16 user Joe Redifer seems to have the same problem as I do. (forum topic 25130-Sega-Master-System-FM-sound-upgrade-guide-SMSFM-2-0-board-from-Viletim, sorry, I can't post a link )

Anyone have any ideas? I could have easily messed something up when I removed the cap, and my hands shake when I do precision work like soldering.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:57 am
I have heard of this too (from Joe) and was thinking if the other I/O disabling mod would have to be done....

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13127&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=disabling&start=50

The one for the SMS2 but would have to acknowledge any pin differences.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:20 pm
Honestly, it's way easier to score a Pro Action Replay or a Master Everdrive to patch it to remove the FM detection.

In one of those threads, it was discovered doing the I/O chip was a dodgy hack that only sometimes worked and would likely slowly destroy the chip anyways.

I believe TmEE or one of those guys built a true way around the issue but it was using more advanced techniques then most people would be willing to do.

tl;dr: get an everdrive or PAR patch the ROM
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:47 pm
Question, I get a 404 error when going to the site, any ideas when the site will be back up so I can order one of these FM modules? Also, is there anyone out there willing to install it on my US SMS model 1?
Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 pm
Bigusschmuck wrote
Also, is there anyone out there willing to install it on my US SMS model 1?

I've done a bunch of these so shoot me a PM on PCEFX and we'll work something out (once Tim's site is back up that is).
Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 pm
Bigusschmuck wrote
Question, I get a 404 error when going to the site, any ideas when the site will be back up so I can order one of these FM modules? Also, is there anyone out there willing to install it on my US SMS model 1?

It has been moved to http://etim.net.au/smsfm/smsfm.html
Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:48 am
viletim wrote
I've wired up an FM board to both the Game Gear and the Megadrive and can say with certainty that it works on both systems.

Neither system will generate a !KBSEL or receive a JOYKILL. Two games require the JOYKILL signal for FM detection, Wonder Boy III and Time Soldiers. No FM sound without a software patch for those two, unfortunately. !KBSEL is easy enough to generate from other signals on the bus. I've attached a circuit diagram below.

It's actually possible to install a board into a power base converter without any connection to the console itself. There are a couple of audio inputs provided in the cartridge slot. If you want to use these make sure you test the audio quality first - my MD2 distorts the audio considerably.

If you are hooking the board up to a converter, either the Power Base Converter or the Master Gear, make sure all relevant pins are connected. Both of my converters are non-official and the silly designers have forgotten to connect the !IORQ signal. Also, in my PBC the !RESET (!RST) line was connected to Vcc which didn't help much.

For Megadrive with Power Base Converter

SMS pin: | 2   | 4   | 14  | 16  | 18  | 20  | 22  | 24  | 26  | 32  |
Mega pin:| B28 | B16 | A19 | A25 | A29 | A01 | A26 | A20 | A15 | A03 |
SMS sgnl:| !WR | !RD | D7  | D5  | D3  | GND | D2  | D0  | A1  | A7  |

SMS pin: | 38  | 46  | 15  | 17  | 19  | 23  | 25  | 27  | 31  | 33  |
Mega pin:| B07 | B02 | A22 | A28 | A18 | A23 | A17 | A13 | A05 | A02 |
SMS sgnl:|!IORQ| !RST| D6  | D4  | GND | D1  | A0  | A2  | A6  | VCC |

B01 = left audio input, B03 = right audio input

I have managed to install one of these into a power base convertor. I have it sort of working. I get a lot of buzzing noise but I can hear the FM audio track playing. Just had a few questions.
What do I connect the white wire to? At the moment it is just hanging loose and I have connected the red lead to B01 and B03.
Also for the grounding wire. Why is this even provided? Can not ground be grabbed from the actual FM board as this gets ground for pin 20 of the SMS cart slot.
If anyone has had more luck with this or has any tips that will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:36 pm
mamejay wrote

What do I connect the white wire to? At the moment it is just hanging loose and I have connected the red lead to B01 and B03.

No wonder you get buzzing audio, that's supposed to be your output wire.

mamejay wrote
Also for the grounding wire. Why is this even provided? Can not ground be grabbed from the actual FM board as this gets ground for pin 20 of the SMS cart slot.

The ground wire is supposed to be for the audio wires, it makes sure that the audio signals are nice and clean when they go into the FM board and come out.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm
ApolloBoy wrote
mamejay wrote

No wonder you get buzzing audio, that's supposed to be your output wire.

mamejay wrote

The ground wire is supposed to be for the audio wires, it makes sure that the audio signals are nice and clean when they go into the FM board and come out.

Thanks for that Apolloboy but I am no closer to a solution. I understand that the red wire is the output from the FM board which needs to be connected to B1 and B3. My question was where do I connect the white input wire to the FM board?
Does the Megadrive cart slot have an output from the MD which I connect the white wire or do I have to somehow run a lead back into the MD?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 am
mamejay wrote
Does the Megadrive cart slot have an output from the MD which I connect the white wire

No it doesn't. BTW , are you sure you have the ground wire for the audio connected?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 am
ApolloBoy wrote
mamejay wrote
Does the Megadrive cart slot have an output from the MD which I connect the white wire

No it doesn't. BTW , are you sure you have the ground wire for the audio connected?

I sure do. I can hear the FM sound but the mixing of regular audio and FM sound is all mashed up. I suspect it is due to not having the white audio in cable connected to anything. This is actually for a customer who purchased the board and didn't reaslise that it was a bit of a feat to get it working in a SMS MD adapter.

I suspect if I can connect the white audio in lead this will correct the issues
Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 pm
There is some great info here! I'm currently trying to fab this into my SMS to Genesis/MegaDrive converter, and I have a quick basic question. Where does MODE in the schematic run off to? It goes to a pad, yet it isn't in a standard 6 pin CPLD jtag. Also, I assume the address and data lines are bridged to both the logic chip and the YM2413 from the SMS cart pins?

I am going to see if I can't bypass the mixing circuit as well. Since it is designed to be used in a Genesis/MegaDrive, I don't see the need to mix and amp SMS FM on the converter just to be mixed and amped again with the Genesis/MegaDrive mixer/amp. Just need to get the SMS FM to the same levels of raw 32x audio to mix correctly.

Thanks guys.
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:00 pm
I'm going to ask something probably very silly for most of you but here I go.

Have you considered adding 3D-glasses capability to your board? I obviously have no idea about the amount of work it would mean to you or if it's even technically feasible, but it seems like the perfect place for SMS2 users to get it. I just spent an afternoon soldering cables to my motherboard and I would hate to do it again, essentially duplicating most of them just to connect to the 3D adapter internally. As an aside I don't want to sacrifice a 3D adapter for this mod, there are already not enough of them on the market.
The video I promised...
Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:53 pm
Remember a long time ago, when I said I was starting work on a video series, and that I would do a feature on the FM Sound Expansion Board in my first episode? Well, I recently finished and uploaded that first episode, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWt_5--bxw

Most of the episode is a review of Golvellius. I have a comparison between PSG and FM sound at 17:15. The spotlight on the FM Sound Expansion Board begins at 28:35.

Hope you enjoy!
FM on Game Gear through Everdrive
Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:20 pm
viletim wrote
I've wired up an FM board to both the Game Gear and the Megadrive and can say with certainty that it works on both systems.

Neither system will generate a !KBSEL or receive a JOYKILL. Two games require the JOYKILL signal for FM detection, Wonder Boy III and Time Soldiers. No FM sound without a software patch for those two, unfortunately. !KBSEL is easy enough to generate from other signals on the bus. I've attached a circuit diagram below.

It's actually possible to install a board into a power base converter without any connection to the console itself. There are a couple of audio inputs provided in the cartridge slot. If you want to use these make sure you test the audio quality first - my MD2 distorts the audio considerably.

If you are hooking the board up to a converter, either the Power Base Converter or the Master Gear, make sure all relevant pins are connected. Both of my converters are non-official and the silly designers have forgotten to connect the !IORQ signal. Also, in my PBC the !RESET (!RST) line was connected to Vcc which didn't help much.

Looking for more information on getting FM through the Game Gear using the Everdrive GG. Not modding a Master Gear. Is this possible? Any more information available on this topic?

AX-Family
Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:04 pm
Which version of the SMS is the easiest to add this mod?

I have the original NTSC one and the heatsink's screw is in a weird spot and I'm afraid of screwing up the console. Is there a board more recommended with easier access?
Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:28 pm
olaf wrote
Which version of the SMS is the easiest to add this mod?

I have the original NTSC one and the heatsink's screw is in a weird spot and I'm afraid of screwing up the console. Is there a board more recommended with easier access?

The later models with Hang-On/Safari Hunt built-in are pretty easy to work on. The early models aren't too bad though, you just need a long enough screwdriver to get at the 7805 screw from the other side. My first SMS was one of these early ones and installing the SMSFM was a cinch.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:42 pm
I ended up getting it removed after finding a longer screwdriver. But I guess I did a bad job soldering because now I just have no sound. Oh well, buying another MS.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:40 am
Hey Guys,

For those people that have a v0.7 board and don't have FM with Wonderboy 3. If you have your system in Jap mode and 60Hz you can get FM to work with a button combination as you boot the game:

This video will show you how. Essentially hold Left and Button 1 on the controller as you boot up the system.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:33 pm
Jacko wrote
Essentially hold Left and Button 1 on the controller as you boot up the system.
...Why in the world is it "Left + 1" and not just one button press? o_o
Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:45 pm
Hey, new user here. I was wondering if these were still actively being produced. I checked the site and it said they were out of stock and I was wondering if it was temporary or permanent.

Also, I was planning on trying to install one of these into a Japanese Mega Adaptor and wanted to know which version would be best for me. Is it the version for the SMS 2 that doesn't hook onto the expansion slot?

I saw earlier in the thread that one or two others had experience installing these into PBC/Mega Adaptors and I had a few questions about their process. Which boards did you use? What diagrams did you consult for soldering/wiring? Were you able to fit the board into the Mega Adaptor without having to cut the shell? My Mega Drive (Model 1) is region modded with a 3 position switch, does that region mod work with SMS games or do I need to wire up the region mod in the PBC as well?

Thanks!
Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:11 am
viletim wrote

I'm really interested to know if anyone has patched these 2 games to work without the JOYKILL signal. Also curious to know what the JOYKILL signal is, how it originates and if it can be recreated with logic ICs.

-Segasonicfan
FM vs performance in games
Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:52 am
Quick question - I notice that Master System games that use the FM sound on the Genesis Plus GX emulator may slow down in certain scenes. For example, in Power Strike when there are lots of enemies and missiles/fire it slows down *only if* FM sound is enabled.

Does this also happen with the hardware FM?
Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm
rednakes wrote

For Power Strike/Aleste, I can confirm that it happens also on real hardware if FM sound is active.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:50 pm
Kagesan wrote
rednakes wrote

For Power Strike/Aleste, I can confirm that it happens also on real hardware if FM sound is active.

Great, thanks for confirming!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:49 am
Has anybody ever posted any pics or vids about hooking up Tim Worthington's FM sound mod into a Power Base Converter? I've been trying for a long while to figure it out but now I feel like I've been doing it all wrong. I know he said to wire it up in the proper pins and it still wasnt working. Should I remove the cartridge connector and solder the board between the connector and the PBC? I feel like that would be a more fitting solution.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:01 pm
I've recently had the pleasure of installing the 2.2 revision of this board, and while it works great I think there may be a printing issue and wanted to check with you all. The board labels three pins that connect to the switch as "FM/Off/FMJapan", but it appears that the order is the reverse of how the board is actually set up. When I set the switch to what the wiring from switch to board suggests should be "FM" it displays the Mark III logo on certain games (such as Afterburner) while if I set it to FMJapan it boots without that logo but still has fully functional FM. Off works just as indicated. I reverse the labelling where I mounted the switch (inside the expansion bay) to match what it appears to be. I just want to make sure that this is the right behavior for Afterburner, that it should only show the Mark III logo when the system is set to Japan's region.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:17 am
It's because when the switch lever is to the right it actually makes contact between left and center pins and vice versa.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:06 am
Thank you! Another mystery solved. I hadn't considered how the switch itself was designed internally. That means I had the right idea on that "Mark III" labelling. Oddly I could find NO online documentation on Master System games showing that logo when they detect Japanese mode, but it's good to know it now.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:43 pm
Got a "junk" Mark III and was thinking about modding it with Tim's FM board. (The FM module is pretty expensive nowadays and I'd have to mod a cable to get RGB with the FM module anyway)

Has anyone already installed one in a Mark III? I gather that it requires a good bit of soldering, but is there anything else I should know before getting started?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, like which capacitor needs to be removed.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:19 pm
Haven't gotten around to installing the SMSFM yet, but I came across this Japanese blog with pictures of wiring up the SMSFM in a Mark III. Can't post links since I'm a new member, but it should show up if you search for nyankosociety smsfm.

Doesn't seem to mention anything about removing a capacitor, so maybe it's not necessary for the Mark III? Edit: They cut one trace, so maybe that does the same job.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!