Kind of like Gauntlet without the scrolling, Gain
Ground stunned us all with
its yawn-inducing gameplay and pathetic graphics
A rather dull intro sets the flavour of the rest of the game.
Although the sprites are quite detailed, the lack of animation and variety renders them dull and uninspiring.
Simple and bland spot effects maintain the lack of thrills in this game.
The play is interesting at first, but after as few sessions it all becomes rather monotonous.
Fifty screens might seem a lot, but when they're all basically very similar, lasting appeal is limited.
A good game in principal marred by the complete lack of challenge and excitement.
- If you're after a fun shoot 'em up involving people against baddies try out Gauntlet, it's miles better than this.
- A good idea has been lost in dreary, aimless play that constantly fails to grab the imagination; I thought that the game would improve as it got more difficult — but no luck there!
What we say now
- Battle Squadron cuts the mustard, but this cuts the cheese. What a sinker. I thought this was crap then and like it less nowadays. Take 25% off each rating, then flush the cart down the lavvie.
- Arghhh! Take it away! I love great games. I even like bad games because they've strangely compelling in a cack sort of way. Gain Ground is sort of in a limbo, it's so dull and boring. Take away 20% from each rating.
- Mean Machines Sega magazine Lookback
See more reviews of Gain Ground
See the main page for Gain Ground