Loading Instructions: Starting Up
1) Make sure the power switch is OFF.
2) Insert the PHANTASY STAR™ cartridge in the Power Base (shown below) as described in your SEGA SYSTEM™ manual.
3) Turn the power switch ON. If nothing appears on the screen, turn the power switch OFF, remove the cartridge and try insertion again.
IMPORTANT: Always make sure the Power Base is turned OFF when inserting or removing your Sega Cartridge. If this is not done, the memory protected by the backup battery may be lost.
This cartridge contains a lithium battery, which will last for several years if properly handled. It cannot be user replaced
About Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star is an interactive adventure role-playing game. It will take you on an adventure unlike any you have ever experienced! The object is to defeat the evil galactic tyrant Lassic. But in order to do so you will take a quest across the stars, seeking friends, magical items, weapons and armor. You will learn much in Phantasy Star ... both about the Algol Star System and about the true heritage of Alis and her friends.
In Phantasy Star, you interact with the characters you meet in the course of the game. Some will give you clues and valuable information. Others will join you in your adventures.
There is no "One Best Way" to finish the game. There will be many directions you can go ... many ways to accomplish your goals. All areas should be explored. Important clues, weapons and items can and will be found in out-of-the-way locations.
It's not a game you will be able to finish in a day. Phantasy Star has a battery backup memory so you can save up to five separate games and continue from the exact point you left. Look forward to many hours of fun and adventure ... including space travel and raging battles both above and below ground.
Strategy and logic are the keys to beating Phantasy Star. Prepare to match wits with the very best of the Sega Master!
The Phantasy Star Story :
The time: Space Century 342. The place: the three planet Algol solar system located deep in the Andromeda galaxy.
Under the democratic rule of King Lassic, life was good as he provided everything his people could want. Space Travel had been discovered 200 years before and deep space shuttles had allowed colonization of Motavia and Dezoris, the other worlds of the Algol Star System.
But slowly, over time, things began to change. It started with a new religion which was rumored to have come from another galaxy. The dark priests of this religion, never seen by any mortal, promised immortality to all who joined. You would live forever!
King Lassic was getting old. The idea of living forever appealed to him so he became the first to join. Then, he ... changed. It started with the threatening suit of armor the priests made for him. The armor looked evil and corrupt, and that's how Lassic began to rule his people. Outrageous taxes became a burden on everyone. Business on all three planets shut down and entire towns fell into decay. There was no way for the people to make any money.
As time passed and the people suffered, horrible creatures and monsters began to stalk all three worlds. When the dead came back to life, the people feared the worst and guessed the truth. Through black magic, Lassic had become an evil tyrant.
But where there is evil there is also always good. Brave individuals began to rally in secret against Lassic. But his Robotcops were ruthless in hunting out these defenders of the people. One was Nero, a spaceport worker in Camineet, the central town on Palma. Long ago, his father had disappeared trying to learn Lassic's evil secrets. Now, the Robotcops had crushed Nero as well. Before he died, he passed on his short sword and his quest to his sister, Alis. He also told her to find a brave fighter named Odin.
Alis raised the sword to the sky and vowed that Nero's death would not go unavenged!
The Directional Button (D-Button)
On the surface of the planets:
- Moves Alis and friends in the direction pushed.
- Moves the selection cursor up or down to various items when the command window is on the screen.
When in dungeons, caves and towers:
- Moves Alis and friends forward when pushed up.
- Turns the group left or right.
- Moves the group backward when pushed down.
- To choose the letters of the words used to identify the name of the saved game.
- Used to cancel a command.
- Confirms and executes the command selected.
- Enters letter selection.
Button 1 or Button 2:
- Starts or continues the game.
- Makes the initial command menu appear.
- When a conversation uses more than one screen of text pushing this button advances to the next screen of text.
- Pauses the game.
- Turns off sound for that portion of the game.
NOTE: Pushing the reset button without previously saving the game will cause the game to restart from the beginning.
When the title screen appears you can choose to either START a new game or CONTINUE a saved game.
Make your selection by using the D-Button to move the
selection cursor to your choice and pressing Button 2.
1) Starting your first game:
- If this is your first game, select START and you will see the story of how Alis begins her quest to defeat Lassic.
2) Continuing a saved game:
- By selecting CONTINUE the game will begin from a previously saved location. When CONTINUE is chosen YES and NO will appear on the bottom of the screen.
- If you choose YES a menu will appear in the upper right corner of the screen. The names of up to 5 previously stored games will be listed in the menu. Use the D-Button to move the selection cursor to the desired game. Push Button 2 to start.
- Choosing NO indicates that you wish to delete a saved game. Another YES/NO choice will appear.
- If you choose YES the same menu will appear showing the games which you have saved. Move the selection cursor to the number of the game you want to delete. Push Button 2 to confirm your selection.
- Another YES/NO choice will appear with the message: "YOU SELECTED — IS THAT O.K." If you choose YES this time, the selected game will be deleted forever.
NOTE: This last selection is only used for deleting saved
games. Be very careful in using the NO command as you might accidentally erase a saved game!
3) To Save a game:
- When you want to end a session, press Button 1 or 2 to make the command window appear.
- Move the selection cursor to the word SAVE and push Button 2.
- The stored game list menu will appear in the upper right comer of the screen. If you are saving the game in a previously named spot, the new game will be saved in that location. The old game will be erased.
- Press Button 2 again to save the current game.
- If you are saving your first game or if you choose an area which does not have a name registered, then the screen will switch to NAME REGISTRATION.
4) Name Registration
- When the alphabet screen appears, use the D-Button to move the selection cursor to the letters you are going to use. Push Button 2 to register the letters.
- Repeat the process for each letter in the word you use.
- If you make a mistake and choose a wrong letter, move the selection cursor to the RUB selection and push Button 2. This will erase the last letter chosen.
- If you want to enter a blank space in between letters, move the selection cursor to the ADV selection. This will Advance you to the next letter. Push Button 2.
- When you are finished entering the name of the saved game, move the selection cursor to END and push Button 2.
NOTE: There is space for only five letters, numbers or symbols for each game you save.
Phantasy Star is a menu driven game. The actions of your characters and movement of items from character to character are controlled by lists of commands called menus. There are two basic types of main menus: NONCOMBAT and COMBAT. To effectively play Phantasy Star you must learn how to call up the various windows and also learn how to move between them to select the items desired. It's easy. Here's how to do it:
This menu can be called up at any time except when Alis and her friends are in combat. When called up the following choices will appear:
- Status, shows the strength and health of each character in Alis' party.
The STAS for each character appears in three menus:
If there is more than one character in your control, use the
D-Button to choose which one you want to review first.
WEAPONS / ARMOR: This menu lists the weapons and
armor the character is using and wearing.
- Level. This shows the progress of the character. The higher the LV, the stronger the character's other aspects.
- Experience Points. You gain experience points every time you defeat an enemy in battle. As your experience points accumulate, your characters will reach higher levels. This is the main way to measure the progress of your game ... like getting high scores in other games.
- The higher the points in this category the more damage will be inflicted on the enemy each time you strike. Attack strengths are based on the type of weapon being used. The more powerful the weapon used, the more damage inflicted.
- The higher the points in this category, the less effect the enemy's hits will have on the person in battle. Defense points are based on the type of protection (i. e., shields, armor, etc.) being used.
- MAX HP
- Maximum Hit Points. The more hit points your chracters have, the more injury they will be able to take from enemy attacks without dying.
- MAX MP
- Maximum Magic Points. The higher the number, the more magic the character is able to use.
- Mesetas; the monetary unit of the Algol Star System. The more you have, the more you can buy!
- Magic: This menu lists the spells the character has learned (see SPELLS).
- These are the special tools or equipment which have been purchased or accumulated during the quest.
Up to 24 different items can be carried at one time. However, since there isn't enough space on the screen to show all of the items at one time, choose the NEXT prompt to move to the second or third listing screen.
To use an item, another menu appears showing:
- USE: After selecting an item with the selection cursor, pick the USE selection to activate the item.
- EQP: Equip. Select this when you want to outfit your character with new weapons or armor, or replace the current weapons and armor with new equipment from your ITEMs.
- DRP: Drop: When you have more than 24 items you can not carry any more. Use this command to get rid of an ITEM, or to drop something won in combat.
- Search. Selecting this command lets you search the area directly in front of Alis and her party. SRCHing can reveal important items.
- When you want to leave the game and come back later to the same position, you must use the SAVE command. This command will store everything you have done in the game up to that point. This feature allows you to return to the exact same point you left the game at with all your characters and possessions intact.
When you leave the safety of the villages and start exploring the countryside, you will quickly see why the people of the Algol Solar System are so worried about their lands. Monsters ... in every strength, shape and size!
When you meet a monster, the countryside scene will automatically change to a combat screen, and the combat menu will appear. In the combat screen you will see:
- The Monster! You will see its name and one or several HP ratings in the upper right comer of the screen. Note the number of monsters and strength of each of them.
- On the bottom of the screen you will see the names of all the characters in Alis' party. The battle must be fought by all of them.
- Next, you must select the battle commands for each member of the party. Use the selection cursor to pick the command wanted for each member of the party. Push Button 2 to confirm the command, or push Button 1 to cancel the command. If you cancel a command, you must choose a new one. When all commands have been selected, push Button 2 to begin the first round of combat.
(NOTE) Each member of the party must fight. If you select RUN for one member, all will run unless an enemy blocks your retreat.
Before you enter into battle with a monster, you can select from several options:
- ATTK - Attack. If this option is selected, you will attack the monster with the weapons the character is using.
- MAGC - Magic. Alis, Myau and Noah can use magic when they learn spells. When you choose this command, a new menu will appear showing which spells the character may use. Choose a spell and confirm by pressing Button 2. When using magic for healing and curing, make sure to choose the person who needs it.
- ITEM - If you choose this command, another window containing a different list will appear. The list is the same as the one you can call up in the moving screen. The use is the same, except the ITEMS used in battle are more limited.
- TALK - Not all monsters are bad. Some will talk to Alis and her friends. Try using this command before entering battle.
- RUN - If you do not wish to fight, try to RUN. But sometimes, when there are more than one monster, a second one will block your path and you will have to stay and fight.
The battle is over when the HP for either side reaches zero,
or when you run away.
Besides gaining experience points from successfully beating the monsters, you will also receive a bonus - a treasure chest. When the chest appears, a window will appear and ask you if you want to open the chest. If you decide to open it, three things could happen:
- If you are lucky, you'll get money and items.
- If you see an arrow come out of the chest, it means that one person in your party was hurt.
- If you see a flash on the screen and the treasure chest explodes, all members in your party will sustain injury.
Know Your Weapons:
The weapons available throughout the game are:
- SHORT SWORD
- Alis has this from the beginning of the game.
- IRON AXE
- Odin has it from the start and it has more power than the Short Sword. Remember that it is heavy and you will need strength to use the axe.
- Needle Gun. This weapon is quite powerful. It will inflict damage to all of the enemies in the battle. Only Odin can use it.
- When you get this weapon, give it to Noah. It is the strongest and most powerful weapon he can use.
- IRON FANG
- Since Myau is an animal, this is only one of the few weapons he can use.
- IRON SWORD
- Stronger than the Short Sword but heavier. It's a good opening weapon to obtain. Its Attack Strength is 12.
- CERAMIC SWORD
- Strong and light in weight. Therefore it is suitable for either Alis or Odin. Its Attack Strength is high - 31.
- LACONIAN SWORD
- The strongest sword available. It is also light enough for Alis. Get it if you can. Attack Strength is rated at 60!
- TITANIUM SWORD
- Not quite as good as the Ceramic Sword but cheaper. Attack strength is 21.
- HEAT GUN
- The advantage to this gun is that it will shoot all the enemies on the screen. A good weapon to have. Attack Strength is 10.
- LASER GUN
- The best gun to have and it can be used up to the end of the game. The Attack Strength is the best of the guns at 20!
- SILVER FANG
- One of the few weapons which Myau can use. The Attack Strength is 10.
- LACONIAN AXE
- The most powerful weapon available. Strong but heavy. Only Odin can use it but you are going to have to search for it as it isn't sold in any store. Attack Strength is 80.
- LIGHT SABER
- If you are only going to shop in the stores, this is the most powerful weapon available over the counter. Attack Strength is 46.
- WOOD CANE
- Noah carries this at the start of the game. Make sure to upgrade this as soon as possible. Attack Strength is only 3.
Besides weapons, each member of the party should have some type of armor. It provides protection from the full force of the monster's attacks. Take careful note of their relative strength and make your purchases carefully.
- LIGHT SUIT
- Very light in weight but still made from strong material. Have Alis buy this right away. Defense Strength is +15.
- THICK FUR
- This is the only type of protection that Myau can get. It still provides good protection as its Defense Strength is +30.
- ZIRCONIAN ARMOR
- Made of the highest quality alloy available. It is good for Odin. The Defense Strength is +30.
- DIAMOND ARMOR
- The protection is among the best but as the name implies, it is very very expensive. If you have the money, get it. Defense Strength is +60.
- LACONIAN ARMOR
- The strongest protection available but you will have to find out where it is hidden. Not available in stores. Defense Strength is an amazing +80.
- FRD MANTLE
- Noah uses this item. It is best for him and can be obtained from Master Tajima. The Defense Strength is + 40.
- LEATHER ARMOR
- This is the usual dress of the people. It provides some protection but should be discarded as soon as better armor becomes available.
- WHITE MANTLE
- Noah starts the game wearing this item. Only people with exceptional knowledge and considerable education can wear this special garb.
- IRON ARMOR
- As the name implies, this armor is very heavy and not for everybody. Alis can't wear it. Odin, being stronger, is wearing it in the beginning of the game.
In addition to armor, shields will give you extra protection from the enemy attacks. Get them as soon as you can.
- MIRROR SHIELD
- Strongest shield available for Odin. Although it can't be obtained in stores, you will need it before you can defeat one of the main monsters. But which one? And where is it hidden? Defense Strength is +40.
- LACONIAN SHIELD
- This is best suited for Alis. It is light enough for her to carry around comfortably. You will need it in order to help defeat Lassic. Defense Strength is +50.
- CERAMIC SHIELD
- Ceramic is a very strong and light material. It can be bought but it is very expensive. Defense Strength is +23.
- Since Myau is an animal and can't carry a shield, this is for him. Defense Strength is +40.
- IRON SHIELD
- Iron is very heavy. It's cheap but Defense Strength is only +5.
- LEATHER SHIELD
- Alis can use this as it is light in weight. Unfortunately it offers very little protection.
- BRONZE SHIELD
- Heavier than leather but lighter than iron. Still too heavy for Alis.
- LASER SHIELD
- High technology at its best!! It is easy to use and worth getting. Great for Alis.
Items will be invaluable during your quest. Keys, burgers, lights and vehicles will all help you along the way. Important items to obtain include:
- This item will automatically send you to the last church you visited.
- MAGIC HAT
- By using this item you will be able to understand the language of certain monsters.
- This item allows you to become temporarily invisible and escape combat.
- Use this item to restore your HP by 10.
- Found hanging around Myau's neck. But what is its use??
- This powerful, smelly liquid will melt all materials except Laconia. Best used on junk.
- DUNGEON KEY
- Opens locked dungeon doors. Can be used over and over again.
- Stronger than the Magic Hat and is very effective on certain monsters.
- A robot made out of pure Laconian. He will operate the Luveno ... if you find him.
- Like the Cola, this item will replenish your HP, up to 40.
- MIRACLE KEY
- More powerful than the Dungeon Key. This item can even open locked Magical doors.
- AMBR EYE
- A precious stone located in the forehead of the Casba Dragon.
- Superpowerful magic against Lassic's evil.
- An item used to let you board the moving road. To get it you'll have to make a deal.
- Another form of identification necessary for interplanetary travel.
- Helps you find your way through the forest.
- LACONIAN POT
- Important to Myau. But how??
- MAGIC LAMP
- With this special light all dark dungeons will become as bright as day.
- GAS SLD
- Special shield to let you cross poison fields.
- You are sure to get lost in the amazing dungeons. They are very tricky but if you have this item you can escape.
- FLASH (LIGHT)
- Used to allow you to see in dark corridors.
- A magical item that will show you places no spaceship can go.
- A light as bright as the midday sun. Find it on Dezoris.
- A vehicle to move rapidly across the surface planets.
- A special boat to get you across the water.
- ICE DIGGER
- A must on Dezoris. When needed, it will bore through certain ice mountains with ease.
There are two types of magic. One is used during battle and
the other is used during the general course of the game. The
spells available are:
- Used by Alis. This will heal the physical ills and restore HP.
- Used by Myau and Noah. Stronger than Heal and can be used to restore large amounts of HP.
- Used by Myau. During combat this magic will erect an invisible wall around Myau and all his friends.
- Used by Noah. Also used during battle, this will erect a wall around his friends and in addition, will sidestep the monster's special magic spells.
- Used by Alis and Noah. This will attack the monsters with balls of fire.
- Used by Noah. Creates strong tornadolike winds to fight the monsters.
- Used by Noah. Sends jagged bolts of lighting to strike the monsters.
- Used by Alis. This spell ties up monsters, making them unable to move.
- Used by Alis. Allows you to make a speedy retreat from battles you do not wish to fight.
- Used by Myau. This gives a special burst of strength to a member of the party to help defeat strong monsters.
- Used by Myau. Makes weaker enemies afraid of you.
- Used by Myau. Allows you to disarm traps in Treasure Chests and dungeons.
- Used by Myau. Allows you to float to the surface when in dungeons, caves and towers.
- Used by Alis. Returns you to the last church you visited.
- Used by Noah. Opens doors sealed with magic.
- Used by Noah. Resurrects a member of your party without having to visit a church.
- Used by Alis. Allows you to understand some monsters' languages.
- Used by Noah. Like Chat, allows you to talk with some of the monsters.
Overview: The Algol Solar System
In order to ultimately defeat Lassic you will have to explore the entire Algol Solar System.
Palma - Palma is just like our own world. It has dense forests, deep lakes and rivers, and wide open areas. The planet is old and fully developed. Its civilization, called the Pal-mans, uses space travel to get to the other two planets -Motavia and Dezoris.
Motavia - A planet just starting to be colonized by the Pal-mans. It has a Spaceport for ships that shuttle people and minerals back to Palma. Motavia travels around the sun in an irregular path. Much of the time it is very close to the sun and its topography is like Earth's deserts - dry, barren and sandy. There are scattered oasis' on the planet along with mountains and deadly poison gas fields.
Dezoris - This planet is the one farthest away from the sun. It is always cold there and its surface is covered with ice and snow. Because of the bitter cold and permafrost, the development of the planet has been very slow. Once every generation, the entire planet of Motavia has an eclipse and is completely dark for 10 days. During this time, the native Dezorins light special torches. These are considered very holy and their light is used for magic ceremonies of growth year-round.
Towns and Villages
Each planet has towns and villages where the people ... and aliens live. Like in any normal community, there are houses and many other different types of buildings.
Houses - The people are everywhere. Stop and talk to them. Some will be in their homes and you will have to enter and listen to what they have to say. Others will be on the streets. Find out what information you can about the countryside, other villages or the locations of important items.
Hospital - One way to replenish your hit points is to visit a hospital. Just like in real life, you will have to pay for the service (there is no health insurance in the Algol System). The hospital fee will be based on the amount of hit points which were replaced.
Church - The town and village churches serve a dual purpose. First, if one of your friends happens to die in battle, he/she can be resurrected there. Second, if you want to know how many experience points you still need before you advance to the next level, you can find out when you are in a church.
Shops - In the towns and villages you will find three different kinds of shops where you can buy various equipment and items. After entering each, a list of available items and their respective prices will appear.
Weapons and Armor Shop - Here, for the right price, you can upgrade your armor and weapons. Since you start with only leather armor and a short sword, which offer little protection, saving your money for the right outfit would be wise.
Secondhand Shop - Many times you will need various types of tools. By buying them secondhand you can not only save money but also get an item which will be needed later on in your quest. In addition to purchasing items, in this store you can sell back, for money, items which you no longer need.
Fast Food Shop - Flere you can buy Burgers and Cola. These items can be saved and used at a later point in time when your hit points are low and a hospital is not nearby.
Exit - After you have investigated everything in a town or village, go through the exit door in order to progress to the outside world.
Roadway - This method of transportation, like a long conveyor belt, will take you directly to the Spaceport. At each Spaceport entrance there will be a Robotcop who won't let you pass unless you have a special item.
Spaceport - There are Spaceports on both Palma and Motavia. If you have a passport you can get on a spaceship and travel between worlds.
9) Dungeons, Caves and Tower Mazes - On all three worlds you will find dangerous, multilevel caves, dungeons and towers. If you dare enter these catacombs, untold treasures and priceless items await you. In addition, venture deep enough into the blackness of the caves and you could find special people or secret, hidden entrances.
The Main Characters
- ALIS - The main character of the game. Her brother was killed by Lassic. She has vowed to overthrow him to avenge her brother's death.
- MYAU - An unusual animal who looks like a cat. He speaks the human language and is closely tied to Odin.
- ODIN - The second comrade of Alis. He also has taken a vow to overthrow the evil King Lassic.
- NOAH - He is an esper wizard and lives in Motavia. Best known for his magical powers, Noah is a close friend of the Governor.
The ultimate goal is to find and defeat Lassic. However he is
well guarded and you must gain experience and strength
before trying to overthrow him.
- SAVE THE GAME OFTEN! When you are killed in battle, you can continue at the last place you saved. This can save you many hours of frustration from rebuilding your characters and their possessions. NOTE: You cannot save games when in combat.
- Write down the clues people and monsters give you. Refer to them to find out where certain items are hidden.
- First you must find your three friends. Only with your combined strength can you defeat Lassic.
- Explore everywhere! Visit each town and village and talk to the people. They will provide you with information to direct you to where you should go next.
- To gain strength and power you need money. To get money you must defeat the monsters on the planets. Remember where the shops are and visit them frequently to upgrade your weapons.
- The mazes in the dungeons, caves and towers are very tricky and complex. Make a map of every level... of every maze you enter. Many have multiple exits ... and concealed pit traps! You'll need a map to find your way out, or to make your way back if you die or leave before you accomplish your goal.
- Before engaging in battle with a monster, think about which weapon or magic will work best against the monster.
- Whenever a booby-trapped chest is opened, it's a good idea to check the STAS of your characters to see how much damage they have sustained.
The following shows the map of each planets:
When travelling, refer to these maps.
The parts hidden by the clouds have important secrets, which you must find by yourself.
Handling The Mega Cartridge™
- The Mega Cartridge is intended exclusively for the Sega System™
- Do not bend, crush or submerge in liquids.
- Do not leave in direct sunlight or near a radiator or other source of heat.
90-Day Limited Warranty Sega® Card/Cartridge
To validate the following 90-day limited warranty, your sales slip or proof of purchase should be retained at time of purchase and presented at time of warranty claim.
90-Day Limited Warranty
Sega of America, Inc. warrants to the original consumer purchaser that this Sega Card™/Cartridge™ shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase. If defect covered by this warranty occurs during this 90-day warranty period, Sega will repair or replace the defective card/cartridge, at its option, free of charge.
This warranty does not apply if the defects have been caused by negligence, accident, unreasonable use, modification, tampering or any other causes not related to defective materials or workmanship.
To receive fast, reliable service, call the Sega Customer Service Department at the following numbers:
- Outside California
- Inside California
Our Customer Service Department is in operation from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time), Monday through Friday. Do not return your Sega Card/Cartridge to your retail seller.
Sega's service center is located at the following address:
Sega of America, Inc.
573 Forbes Blvd.
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Limitations On Warranty
Any applicable implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are hereby limited to ninety days from the date of purchase and are subject to the conditions set forth herein. In no event shall Sega of America, Inc. be liable for consequential or incidental damages resulting from the breach of any express or implied warranties.
The provisions of this warranty are valid in the United States only. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or exclusion of consequential or incidental damages, so the above limitations of exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty provides you with specific legal rights. You may have other rights which vary from state to state.
See the original manual scans at Phantasy Star - US - Manual
See the main page for Phantasy Star (ファンタシースター, 환타지스타)